Dim Sum, Mongkok, and Red Bar

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Hong Kong from Kowloon
Today we slept in until noon, which was very needed. We then headed over to the Kowloon side of Hong Kong, taking a ferry across the bay. When we got there we first ate dim sum at a very popular and busy restaurant. We had BBQ pork buns, shrimp dumplings, spring rolls and fried rice. It was absolutely delicious!

We then walked around the pier, explored the Peninsula Hotel, and then headed to the Mongkok area of the city. First we hit the Ladies Market. It was absolute chaos from the minute we stepped out of the subway station--once again people, signs, cars, and noise everywhere! I have never seen so many people in such a cramped area in my life. We shuffled through the one lane of the Ladies' Market as we took in all the shops. You can buy anything there--from cell phone wraps, t-shirts, chopsticks, figurines, stuffed animals, clothes, movies, shoes, souvenirs.
..you get the picture. (Basically any object you find in the US or Europe that says "Made in China"). The best was some signs with improper translations, such as "Your face is like an angel, you walk like a model, but your body is like a buffalo"; "You are beautiful but you treat me like a potato"; "Hug me, bitch"; "Do not disrupt, I am with Mr. Sleepy"; "Privacy, except woman"; "Toilet is so peaceful"; "Smoking is like flying in the clouds."

We then headed to the BC mall to take part in a favorite Asian tradition--the Japanese photo booth! We did one called "Candy Carnival" and it was hilarious--music played as we picked our backgrounds and posed for the photos. We then went to a second area where we could decorate electronically decorate the photos with glitter, stickers, writing, stars, hearts, animals, Chinese characters, wigs, colors, and more.
It was HILARIOUS!!

We then headed back to JT's apartment to relax before heading out for the night. We met up with Toby and Niko and ate kebabs for dinner at Ebenezer's in the Mid-Level district (I'm really enjoying all this great, diverse, and delicious food) before heading across the street to a birthday party for one of their classmates. It was fun to meet their classmates--a fun group! Another of their friends, Lina joined us there and then the five of us headed to the Red Bar, where we overlooked the harbor and city skyscrapers. It was beautiful at night! It was fun to chat with them and get to know them better before calling it a night.
Hong Kong from Kowloon
Kowloon (one of the most densely p…
Kowloon (one of the most densely …
Japanese photo booths!