First Glimpse of Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

After 13 hours of air travel and a 1.5 hour break at the Seoul, South Korea airport, I arrived in Hong Kong around 10pm local time (HKT). Traveling on Asiana Airlines was smooth and easy, check in was fast, the flight attendants were attentive, friendly, and very kind, and my bags arrived no problem. JT met me at the airport then we headed back to his apartment in the Causeway Bay area of Hong Kong. We took the express train from the airport and enjoyed some TV on the train as we caught up on life since graduation. We then transferred to the metro line (again very efficient and clean). When we stepped out of the metro station, I felt like I was in a movie set. The streets were relatively bare because of the late hour, and buildings, signs, and billboards cluttered the sky; Chinese characters were everywhere!

I followed JT until we arrived at his apartment's entry. Past the main door, we went down a very narrow hall then up about three flights of stairs. The stairs were even narrow. When JT opened the door to his apartment I was in shock-I had imagined something very small, but this was TINY! You can practically stretch out your hands and touch the opposing walls. I'd estimate the apartment in 6.5ft by 10ft. Welcome to Hong Kong!

I squeezed in my suitcases, covered the bathroom door with newspaper to add some privacy, and then showered quickly to get off the airplane feeling. We then headed across the street, bought some drinks and headed onto the roof of his friend's apartment to look out over the city. We then walked around the city for a bit before heading back to his apartment and calling it a night.
divadownunder says:
so typical of hk..especially on the island, they are not apartments, more like shoeboxes!!!
Posted on: Nov 07, 2009