Vienna is a Surprise

Vienna Travel Blog

Schonbrunn Palace
We left Kalgenfurt this morning and pretty much drove straight to Vienna, getting there right at lunchtime. The drive was pretty from what I remember, but to be honest- I don't remember much. I have a hard time staying awake on a bus at 9:00 in the morning.

When we got to Vienna, we went straight to Schonbrunn Palace, right outside of central Vienna. It was a palace for some royalty and was huge with elaborate gardens.

We had a few hours to spend there, but my friends and I didn't want to pay to go inside the palace, so we explored the gardens. It is amazing how tired we all felt for sitting in the bus all day! That and the added heat made us sluggish around the gardens.

Still trying to conserve money, I ate my lunch I made this morning from the groceries I bought the other day (PB&J Sandwich!). We then walked to the top of the gardens up a high hill to the Gloriette where we could see all of Vienna. Very beautiful! The sunny day and nice weather made all the blooming, sculpted flowerbeds and fountains look amazing. Eventually we got tired of walking and sat in the shade (no Georgia humidity!) and enjoyed each other's company.

After we were through there, the bus picked everyone up and drove us to St. Stephen's Cathedral, right in the middle of downtown Vienna. The cathedral was beautiful! It definitely rivaled the best churches I've seen so far. It's design was more open and wider, with several smaller features that were worth the extra look.
This included things like a pulpit, seperate chapels, and stained glass windows.

We then had a little bit of time before the bus was to take us to the hotel, so we were able to walk through downtown Vienna. It is truly what every American city dreams to be- a long pedestrian-only corridor bustling with people, restaurants and top-of-the-line retail. The mix of modern and older architecture immediately caught my eye. Though it was a national holiday (we tend to keep hitting them in every country!) and nothing was open, the streets were still full of life and it was a fun environment to be in. Vienna has already surprised me with how exciting it is! I look forward to going back and seeing more.

The bus then took us to the hotel, which is literally beside the airport.
Fountains in Beautiful Gardens
Along the way, I saw several buildings that I had studied in my architecture history classes and that was exciting! I had forgotten about them.

The hotel is very, very nice. Top of the line. Though it kind of stinks that we are a good distance from the city, there is a subway stop very close by and the hotel is extremely nice. Better than anything we've had before.

I settled in and then went back down to meet someone for a run. The bus had made us both feel tired and so it was nice to get out and be active for a bit. I didn't realize, however, how close we were to the airport until we tried to go for the run. When you walk outside of the hotel, across the street is literally the entrance to the main concourse as it says "Arrivals". When trying to run, we soon found out were in the middle of the airport "loop" road- just like in Atlanta (or any other American airport) where all the roads spin around with fast cars and have no sidewalk.
From the top at the Gloriette
So after a few attempts to run alongside the road, we gave up and ran up and down the aisles of the airport parking lot! Hopefully we will find some better places to run next time.

The day has ended with some wonderful comforts that made me most happy. First, we had our welcome dinner in the hotel and it was a buffet style. It was food from the area, but the buffet was wonderful. I ate so much. Then, I bought internet and checked my email for the first time in days. Ahhh.... I've missed it. Anyone of you know me well know how I love my email.
Vienna!
Vienna!
Interior of St. Stephens in Downt…
Interior of St. Stephen's in Down…
Downtown Vienna