Summer in Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Kunsthistorisches Museum
We began today with a lecture and site visit to the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. This is their main art museum, and it was very impressive and spectacular. I've seen a lot of museums on this trip and this is definitely one of my favorite so far! It contained a very impressive collection of Egyptian, Greek, and Roman Art. Our lecture focused on the museum's collections of Baroque and Northern Renaissance Art, which I really enjoyed viewing. Besides the art, the building was magnificantly ornate and beautiful, as it was one of the first museum buildings to actually be constructed for the purpose of being a museum (most other museums we visited were originally palaces or something else).

After the visit, it was about lunch time, so I ate my sandwiches I had made earlier that morning in the gardens outside the museum before proceeding back into the main downtown area which is where I had been yesterday.
Naturhistorisches Museum
The pedestrian "street" was even more crowded and lively than yesterday, as today was not a national holiday and everything was open. I wandered by myself and took time to do some shopping and overall enjoy the environment. I finally got to go to H&M! That may sound unexciting, but I have heard all about it and have been waiting until I could find one since I came to Europe. Normally when you walk into a clothing store, find something you like and gawk at the price, you say "this is too much! it should only be $___!" Well, at H&M, the price is exactly what you think it should be. So it's very affordable and I must admit, I really enjoyed shopping there. To make things more exciting, there were 3 locations in the span of the 5 blocks that make up the pedestrian street in downtown Vienna! But I didn't go into every one.
Statue in Downtown Vienna
Well, not during the same trip.

After I got some Coke Light and was satisfied with my experience on the street, I took the U-Bahn over to the large and main city park, Stadtpark. It was wonderful! Everything you'd want in a large central park. Being that it was beautiful weather and I was really trying to enjoy true life in the city, I found a shady, grassy spot in front of a pond and read. I'm trying to spend summer the way I think it should be!

Eventually though, I had to leave to catch the U-Bahn over to the Opera House, which is where our next class lecture was. We took a group tour for our music class. While Vienna is very famous in the origins of Opera, I admit the building and tour was not that exciting and impressive after seeing the Paris Opera House.
Interesting nonetheless.

After the tour, everyone had pretty much decided to go back to the hotel. We will have plenty of free time tomorrow and Sunday to explore the city (and it is much smaller and more managable than previous cities), and we actually have a test and paper due for music class tomorrow. The days all feel the same and we easily forget what day of the week it is, so it doesn't seem so odd that we are spending Friday night studying in the hotel!

I took the train back to the hotel, took a quick nap, ran, and decided to get dinner before studying hard. Though being in a hotel that is across the street from the airport is fairly inconvienent to the city, it is very convienent to the airport amenities- free wireless internet, a grocery store, and several fast-food restuarants.
My view from where I sat next to the pond.
Those of you who know me well know that I love the airport and have some weird fascination with it. So the hotel's location was getting better!

Craving true, American fast food and not wanting to spend a lot of time and money on dinner, I admit I went to McDonald's. They have something called an Almburger to attract and please Austrians. I figured I would at least eat something somewhat authentic and so I ordered that. The burger and fries was so, so good. I promise I'll eat real Austrian food tomorrow night.

Since then, I've basically been studying, except for a quick break to type this. It's funny to walk up and down the halls of the hotel, because you hear the music playing everywhere that we're required to know for the test tomorrow. I look forward to a full day in the city tomorrow!

Stadtpark
My view from where I sat next to t…
My view from where I sat next to …
Vienna Opera House
Vienna Opera House
Statue outside of Vienna Opera Hou…
Statue outside of Vienna Opera Ho…
Vienna