EuropeItalyPadua

Smaller Towns In Italy

Padua Travel Blog

Beautiful small town in Italy!

We left Florence early and quickly this morning for Venice. Our trip leaders and professors planned a quick side trip for us that went to San Gimignano. It was a beautiful medieval town on a hill in the middle of the Tuscan countryside. We were there around midday, and the weather was perfect and completely enjoyable. It was a small community of wine shops, pasta sellers, and various other little shops with restaurants sprinkled throughout. I did my gift shopping that I needed to do in Italy and then just enjoyed being in the warm and pleasant sun. It was refreshing and a great side trip.

I slept and read most of the short trip to Padua, which is where we were staying for Venice.

The Tuscan landscape.
Padua is a town about 30 minutes outside of Venice by train. It is a normal looking European town or even just one that you would find in America. We are staying here apparently because it is cheaper, even though most of us were disappointed to be so far from Venice.

I am fortunate to have a life-long friend of mine that I grew up with back in my hometown of Gastonia, NC who is studying abroad for the month in Rome. She took a weekend trip to Venice, and chose to stay in Padua as well for the affordability. Therefore we got to meet up and spend the evening together! It was a great time and it was a lot of fun not only to see her, but also to be able to spend time with someone I already know well and completely comfortable around (as is not the case as I am slowly meeting people on this trip). We went to dinner and a wine bar with a few of her study abroad friends and it was just great. I shouldn't be surprised though, I always have a good time with her!

The main area in San Gimiginano