Running a Race with the British...

Oxford Travel Blog

So in the summer I usually like to run a few road races and so when we got to Oxford I went online in search for a local road race. I found a racing series by the local track club here in Oxford where they race every Monday night for three weeks, doing 2, 3, and then 4 miles, respectively.

This Monday night was 3 miles and I decided to go with John for the sake of getting some exercise and some British (running) culture. It was in a local park and there were about 10 racers- talk about a small race! They were naturally all British and middle-aged so they were a little surprised when a couple of young Americans showed up, but they were very welcoming.

I soon found out how out of shape I was during the race as it was painful and I ran slower than usual. I was kind of disappointed in being out of shape since I was in peak condition back in May right after my triathlon, but I expected that to happen with being in Europe all summer. Nonetheless, I got 2nd in the race.

It was fun to do something random like this that only locals really do. I enjoyed getting off-campus and taking a part in the race!
Oxford