EuropeItalyPadua

A Relaxing Sunday

Padua Travel Blog

Today we had class starting early at 8:30. Art class was very interesting because we discussed Jackson Pollock and other modern art that we are going to see at the Peggy Guggenheim museum tomorrow- a trip I am very excited about. Music class was alright, and we looked at an Opera that we will see in our upcoming trip to Vienna.

After class, I dediced to try and catch mass at one of the local churches here in Padua since I had time before our next visit. I chose the basilica in the city (seemed like the best choice) and walked there. The church was fairly nice, but not that impressive as I have definitely seen churches in America that were more magnificant. But nonetheless, it was nice to be at church on a Sunday morning. However, I got there right before communion so I pretty much missed the entire mass (not that I would have been able to understand it anyway!). Having a Catholic Italian heritage, it was still cool to have gone to mass in Italy.

I then had to make it over to the Arena Chapel here in Padua where we were meeting for art class. It is a small chapel built by a noble family for their personal worship and the inside is completely painted by Giotto, an important painter for his work that influenced the advancement of art as we know it today. I have already studied so much of work in the chapel throughout my design history courses at Tech and so it was literally mesmerizing to see it all before me. The chapel is surprisingly beautiful and breathtaking for its size and simplicity of architecture. Giotto truly painted every detail and did it well.

The problem with Padua is that being a regular town and not one where tourists flock, there is hardly anything open on Sunday as in the rest of non-touristy Europe. However, it was about 3:00 when were done with our site visit, so it was debatable as to the worth of taking the train all the way into Venice. I was very tired and decided that since we would have all day Monday and Tuesday in Venice, that I would stay here in Padua and take a day off to rest and relax.

I spent the next little while relaxing in the city park and gardens surrouding the Chapel, which were beautiful and lively with perfect weather. I eventually decided to walk back to the hotel where I took a 2.5 hour nap! I must have needed it as this trip is exhausting and I want to be ready for the next few full days in Venice. After the nap, I went for a quick run and met my group of friends for dinner. The dinner was great and cheap and the restaurant did a great job of catering to our interests.

After dinner, I've been spending the time relaxing in the hotel with some friends watching "Friends" (oh, how I miss the small comforts of America) and catching up on my travel blogs now that we have some reliable internet. This is exactly how I like to spend my Sundays! I hope to go to bed early tonight for an early rise to catch the train for a day in Venice.

seventy6daytripper says:
how'd you like that security system set up outside the chapel, haha. love reading your blogs....keep them updated! i'm having fun reading! keep in touch, buddy.
Posted on: Jun 04, 2007