One More Stopover

Bielefeld Travel Blog

Today was a travel day and so unfortunately there isn't much to tell about it either! Nor do I have any pictures...

The traveling is getting harder because I find it more difficult to sleep and sit there, being inactive all day. I read my Time magazine I bought the other day (it was refreshing to read the American news) and just enjoyed the ride. We are on our way from Berlin to Brugges, Belgium which is probably the longest haul we've made all trip. We are essentially done with our traveling now and are on our way to Oxford! We will be in Brugges for two days, but mainly just to take exams.

We got to our hotel (A Quality Inn- another American chain!) late this afternoon as we are staying outside of Bielefeld as a stayover to break up the long trip to Brugges. I went for a run with two other guys to get moving after being in the bus all day. Being in a small town, it is mainly all country as soon as you get a few blocks out of the city. It really was nice to run next to woods and fields as we have been in cities the rest of the trip. It was beautiful and the weather was "perfect summer"- felt just like it should in the middle of June.

After the run, we ventured out to find dinner. Being in a small town, there are not many options, especially after 7 on a Tuesday night. As Americans we were definitely out of place here- no one speaks English! We happened across a Wal-Mart like monostrosity of a store. It was several buildings all by the same company that sold practically everything you'd ever need or want- just like America! In the parking lot though, was a little German diner were I ordered schnitzel and a German version of fries and salad. Very good- it hit the spot!

Since dinner, we've been lounging around the hotel. I ventured out again with a few people to try and find wireless. Sure enough, sitting (slightly sketchy) in front of an apartment building down a nearby side street, I was able to log on the internet real fast. I am looking forward to Oxford on Saturday- free consistent internet among other things!
Bielefeld