In Love With Spain

Barcelona Travel Blog

Yes, I love it here. Definitely my favorite country and city so far.

I started the day with a quick run along the port and waterside. Beautiful and warm! So nice to be out in the sun and warmth after a cold and rainy week in Oxford. After the run I met up with the girls and we went to the beach. It was a bit of a walk, but completely worth it. The beach was very nice- great to be out in the sun frying. Felt just like summer should.

Afterwards, we ate lunch back at the apartment and then got ready to go out in the city for the afternoon. We walked around the Gothic neighborhood adjacent, casually wandering up and down streets, and since they are girls, stopping in shops. I love the culture here and the city. Relaxed but full of life and spice.

That evening I met up with a few of my longtime college friends, Chris Luders and Nick Wellkamp, who were there on a weekend trip from their study abroad location in France. These guys were in my fraternity pledge class and I've lived with both of them the past two years. Very cool. They were joined by a few other friends and another fraternity brother.

We walked to see the Gaudi architecture. Antonio Gaudi is one of my favorite architects and Art Noveau is one of my favorite styles. These were buildings that I not only studied in my classes, but also admired so it was a great privilege to see them. Both Casas and Sagrada Familia! Amazing.

We then went to dinner at a place near their hostel- the place was a little touristy, but the paella was fantastic and still affordable. After dinner, we walked by the water and on the bridge and piers. Beautiful at night! And a full moon! We then walked down Las Ramblas and stopped at a tapas bar on the square next to our apartment. I ordered dessert and sangria. It was very good!

It was then time to leave my friends and go to bed with plans to meet up early the next day!
Barcelona