Italy is My Favorite

Venice Travel Blog

Marona Island- Glass making island!
Today was a well-spent day in the Mediterranean.

After class this morning in Padua, we took the train again into Venice. Today, however, we decided to spend the day island hopping on the various islands outside of Venice. It is really easy to do so, as it only requires a day pass on the vaporetta, the city's transportation system.

After a long but pleasant and exciting boat ride, we arrived at our first island of Maruna. This island is famous for glass making, and that is immediately evident as the island is crammed with factories and store after store selling glass in all different forms. A worker was advertising his factory right at the vaporetta stop, which had free tours.
Baruno- lace making island.
So we decided to go, and we got the chance to watch a quick glass-making demonstration before being ushered (appropiately) through their shop and showroom. I admit that some of the creations are impressive, but I could not see myself buying them (or affording them) for anyone. My friends felt the same way so we enjoyed the rest of the island by walking around and getting lunch.

At this point we decided to go to the next island along the ferry line, Baruna. It is much further away so we got the chance for another long boat ride. The island is much more remote and smaller and had a lot of open space with several rows of houses and a few gift shops right off the vaporetta stop. This island is famous for its lace-making, as was immediately evident. However, we (myself and about 4 friends) were more interested in simply enjoying the sea breeze and warm sun.
Me looking out onto the beautiful water.
So we got off the vaporetta ferry and found a nice spot along the sea wall were we proceeded to lie down and rest. It was immensely enjoyable and relaxing to spend time simply enjoying the atmosphere instead of running around at a ridiculous tourist pace. It again felt like summer today and I was soaking up every moment of it, knowing that we won't see much more open water for the rest of the trip nor will we get such warm weather.

After getting some gelato and peeking into a few shops (a few of the guys took this opportunity to finish their gift shopping for families), we waited in the park until we could catch a ferry ride back to Venice. We literally had several hours until we needed to be back for our concert for music class later tonight, but it was good that we decided to go when we did- it took nearly two hours to get back! This was from the waiting, the long boat ride, and the several stops along the way.

Once we got back to Venice, we took our walking along the Grand Canal before going off into less touristy areas of the city to find dinner, which we all decided we wanted pizza. We must have been in the wrong places because we could not find anything within reasonable price range until we stumbled upon a takeout place that was very cheap. It was probably that way because there were not the typical service and cover charges factored in, and the food was great. We took our pizzas and ate on the steps of a well in a nearby piazza. A great way to end our Italian meals!

By then it was about time for the concert, so I changed into dress clothes in a random alley (more fun that way) and we all met up with the entire group outside the concert venue.

Our assignment for the music class was to attend the Venice Symphony Concert, in which they were performing Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons and a few other concertos.
Beautiful afternoon in Venice.
The venue was in a converted chapel building, and it was beautiful. I have always wanted to attend a symphony concert and so I consider myself lucky to have made my first one in Venice hearing a renowned group perform famous Baroque works. The experience was incredible and I really enjoyed it. I need to attend concerts more often.

After the concert, we took the vaporetta (it was just like a gondola ride! ok, maybe not exactly...) back to where the bus was parked and rode that back to the hotel.
Baruno- lace making island.
Me looking out onto the beautiful …
Me looking out onto the beautiful…
Concert Hall Venue