Dragging Along in Vienna...

Vienna Travel Blog

Belvedere Museum
This morning started off with a trip to the Belvedere Museum for lecture. The Belvedere is a former palace converted into an art gallery. It was ok. To be honest, I think I (along with many others) are getting tired of art gallery visits to see one or two paintings and are in general tired of following a set schedule. We are looking forward to getting to Oxford and having our own schedule and being settled in. These visits are starting to get a little taxing and old.

Nonetheless, we are still in Vienna and I want to be keep a positive attitude about it! We had a few hours before our next appointment for class and so I went with John to mass at the Stephansdom Cathedral (St. Stephen's).
View of Vienna
It was actually pretty cool, even though we couldn't understand a word of German. I did enjoy it and it was nice to see a touristy place stop for mass (unlike Notre Dame).

After that, I had packed my lunch once again so I went back over to Stadtpark (the large city park) to sit and eat it. Today it is very hot again, but enjoyable in the shade. So it was nice to do what's best on a Sunday in summer- lay around before going to our next art museum, the secession building.

The secession building is at least a little interesting because I have studied this building in my architecture history class, but inside it was rather crude and even offensive. The art in this gallery was very modern, too much so for my taste. This includes scattering things about an empty room (including an American flag in compromising positions) and calling it art.
Whatever.

After this, I went with John, Andrea, and Allyson (composing our main group) to try and see a few things in the city, including the large ferris wheel and carnival area, before our matinee concert for music class. Well, as soon as we got there it started storming and pouring down rain. Another one of those incredible summer storms that I thought only existed in Florida and Georgia. It rains on the last day in every city! So we went to the station for the concert, waited it out, and ran over to the concert hall.

The concert was very nice, and the performance was well done. I was glad to see an actual full symphony perform- right here in Vienna!

After the concert, the rain had stopped, the sun was back out, and it was really nice out. Most everyone decided to go back to the hotel, but I decided to at least get my dinner in the downtown area and just enjoy being outside for once while I ate it. I finally got an Austrian hot dog from a street vendor (it was perfect!) and walked around to soak in Vienna one last time before going back to the hotel. Here I've spent the rest of the evening catching up on a few things and getting ready to leave tomorrow for Prague.
Mass at Stephensdom
Mass at Stephensdom
Caught in a crazy thunderstorm try…
Caught in a crazy thunderstorm tr…
Vienna