Day to Myself in Edinburgh!

Edinburgh Travel Blog

So the whole group went today to the British Open so I got a whole day to myself to explore the rest of Edinburgh! That may sound lonely, but I really enjoyed it and had a great time!

I woke up fairly late around 9, or at least late compared to the 4:30 wake up for them going to the British Open. The museums in Edinburgh are free, just like in London, so I set off for the National Gallery. It was small and managable, which was nice, but the art was Renaissance and to be honest, nothing spectactular after everything we've seen all summer. But I then decided to head to the National Modern Art Museum, which was a walk across town, so I headed off. I got to walk along another park and through a neighborhood, and it was enjoyable. The modern art museum was pretty cool and worth the trip.

By then I grabbed lunch and decided to go to the Royal Yacht Britannia, which was down on the ocean coast. I admit it sounded a little touristy, but I was really intrigued and I'm glad I went- I really enjoyed it! For some reason I found it very interesting. The Britannia was what the royal family used as their ship for 50 years. I had a great visit and was fun to see the ocean coast, which was a ways from the main city.

When I got back, I had a few hours before I was supposed to meet a few others for dinner from another group who didn't go to the British Open either. So I did some shopping in the New Town district because the clearance sales were pretty incredible- I got some really cheap pants from Zara when I needed a few pairs. They are not like America though, and everything closed at 6, so I went back to the hostel and took a quick nap.

I met them for a late dinner, and we went to restaurant right beside their hotel- it was great! The hotel recommended it for its quality and prices and it was good recommendation. Afterwards, we walked a few doors down and found a lively, warm bar. They really wanted to go clubbing so we went to one down the street that the guidebook recommended. We got there and it actually looked really lame and dead. Funny thing was the bouncer recommended this other club down the street that had free cover and was a hotspot. Who would have thought the bouncer wouldn't recommend his own club! But the one he recommended was actually great. It was my first club experience and it was fun! It was three levels and had something different on each one and had American music. Good times! But since it had been a long day and early morning awaited, I left the club and went to bed. Great day!
photo by: vances