The Alps!

Les Houches Travel Blog

View from the Hotel.

Today we left Paris for Florence. I woke up feeling grumpy because my surroundings were in Europe, not the comfort of my old ULC apartment bedroom. Since May 5, I have literally been nomadic- living out of a suitcase in California, North Carolina, Georgia, and now France. And now I had to pack again so I could continue to be nomadic in another place. I know I am lucky to have had such an exciting month so far, but the inconsistency and time away from Atlanta and everything and everyone that I love about it was beginning to wear on me. Yes, I guess you could say I was getting homesick.

But alas, it was time to press on to Florence.

Small ski resort town nearby.
After a quick shower, frantic packing, and grabbing a baguette from the breakfast room, I was on the bus- ready for our 8 hour ride. Because it is over 15 hours from Paris to Florence, we are splitting the trip between two days, and today we were going to Mt. Blanc and the Chamioux Valley- very close to the Italian border.

Even though my body has been exhausted from everything these past few weeks, it is still a wonder to me how I slept so much on the bus today. I literally slept the entire time between breaks and lunch, with only about an hour awake when I organized the pictures from Paris on my computer. It was a good thing though, as I felt my body needed the sleep and the 8 hour trip was very quick.

We arrived at our little hotel, which was just off the interstate (or whatever they call it here) and surrounded by the Alps.

I had never seen the Alps before or anything this impressive before! Actually, they reminded me a lot of Colorado and the Rockies. But it was still incredible.

Our hotel was dramatically different than the one in Paris. The trip leaders told us the Paris hotel was probably the nicest on the trip, and they must have been serious. Our new hotel wasn’t necessarily bad, it was just more primitive. It was basically like a cheaper option for skiers who couldn’t afford or didn’t want to pay for the swanky inns in the nearby resort town.

Seeing as how the hotel was remote from much else (it reminded me of a horror scene movie), we all went into the nearby resort town of Les Houches (yes, funny name) for dinner.

I felt like it was winter...
I admit, it was odd being in a ski resort town without several feet of snow everywhere. It did remind me of Delta Chi ski trips and ached a little bit for those great times I had on them.

We found a great little restaurant and took advantage of my last opportunity to speak French for a long time. I also took advantage of the chance to eat healthy after the many sandwiches and pizzas in Paris and ate a great green salad with salmon.

After dinner, we got back on the bus and drove back to the hotel. It was about 9:30, and there was literally nothing to do. I admit it was nice to be away from the normal insanity of busyness in which I live, but the pool was closed, there was no internet, and the TV was all in French. So we made do by playing cards, which was fun.

Eventually, being tired from a day of doing nothing, (funny how that works!), I went to bed in our attic-like room and slept well until morning.

(And yes, I know the name of our town looks funny)
Les Houches