Another Day in Paradise...

Riviera Maya Travel Blog

one of my favorite pictures... ever

I got up just after 7, probably earlier than I needed to, but I got a shower before Emily woke up and then organized my stuff.  My suitcase zipper broke, which sucks because this is only the second time I've used this set.  American Tourister certainly isn't quality.  Once Emily got around, we ate breakfast at the buffet and then met Carlos.  We decided to do the zipline adventure tomorrow.  I haven't decided about snorkeling, yet.

We spent the morning at the beach.  Oh, the glorious beach.  I can't get over how beautiful it is here.  Listening to the waves crash is so peaceful.  After lunch, Emily and I went to Playa del Carmen to go souvenir shopping.  That is, after Emily decided to put her phone down from texting.

shopping at 5th Avenue
  I know, I know, she's going through a rough time, but the idea of a vacation is to get away from home!

Shopping turned out to be an interesting experience.  We took a taxi to the Fifth Avenue shopping area, and were dropped off at the high-end stores, not what I was expecting at all.  Once we got past those, we found the flea market shops and the like.  I bought a gorgeous bowl, and we avoided the shops where the men were whistling for us to come in.  I wish I knew Spanish better.  Even though I speak the language, and understand it well, I am far from being fluent.

Here's the story of the day:  I found a magnet, a simple refrigerator magnet, that was a ceramic sombrero.  One next to it was broken, and the shopkeeper accused me of breaking it, which I did not.

Our view from dinner one night
  I argued with her but she kept saying 'no English, no English'.  She even said she was going to call la policia.  Well, I'm smart enough to know that I would be guilty until proven innocent so I just paid for the damn thing.  We walked around some more, but that experience really put a damper on my mood for shopping.  Plus, it was hot and we were hungry.  We stopped and ate gelato, but it wasn't all that great.

When we got back to the resort, we went to back to the beach to relax, before the evening.  Our dinner reservations were for the Mexican restaurant.  The appetizer was soup and salad.  I chose the chicken entree, Emily the steak.  I have no idea what it actually was, but it was really good.  Our seats were closest to the water, so we had an incredible view for dinner.  Dessert was some sort of cheesecake, which I didn't care for (but, I don't like cheesecake to begin with).  After dinner, we put on our tennis shoes and power-walked through the resort and on the beach for some exercise.

We have a 6:45 wake-up call set for in the morning.  Tomorrow is our zipline jungle tour.  And, I'm impressed.  Emily and I have been together for forty-eight hours without anyone else, and we're getting along.  No disastrous fights or anything like that.

Our view from dinner one night
a nice, cool snack - I couldnt pa…
a nice, cool snack - I couldn't p…
Dining seaside.