First night in Cali and already experienced the friendliness here :)

Cali Travel Blog

In Cali!
We arrived a bit earlier than scheduled, so instead of 11:50pm, it was 11:40pm, hahaha. Before leaving Lima, I arranged a cab. Arrival time was late and it wouldn't be safe to catch a random taxi, plus it was my first time in the city. It wouldn't be cheap, but safety first and the airport is not that close to the city, although traffic wasn't bad late at night.

Cali's airport is not that new, but was missing here was air conditioned. OMG! It was so hot here!!! Well, I asked for warm weather, so shut up! Clearing customs took longer than expected, although it was the only flight arriving at this time, but there weren't many officers working and they made several questions to people arriving. They stamped my passport and gave me another piece of paper, which you have to keep and show when you are leaving the country, unless you'd like to pay airport fee, hahaha.
So, I kept it safe ;)

So good just having carry on, hehehe. In Colombia they use another currency, but the exchange houses were closed at the airport. Hopefully the taxi driver would take US$. At the entrance of the building I saw some people waiting for passengers, when I saw a young guy - with a hippie look - holding a sign (actually it was a piece of cardboard) saying my name on it "Yadira", how sweet!!!

We went to the taxi, put the things at the trunk and I thought we'd leave soon, but he started to look for something. What was missing? The keys! hahaha, we couldn't move without them, hahaha. Finally he found them and we left. During the drive he and his girlfriend were explaining us about Cali and what to do there.
Coffee House, small charming place
They both were really friendly!

Then we arrived to San Antonio area, where the hostel was located. Paola, the owner, opened the door and was glad to see me, how nice! She welcomed me to Cali. I told her I couldn't exchange money and I'd pay with US$, but she told me not to do it. She paid for the taxi and we'd pay her after exchanging money, how kind! Didn't I say Colombians are friendly?

Well, it was late and was tired, so she just showed us around the hostel. How did I know about this hostel? Well, when I was in Ecuador a Colombian guy gave me a brochure about traditional San Antonio and told me it'd be a good idea to stay in the area. Well, this will be my  1st stop in Cali, so staying here made sense. So far, it looked so charming and with friendly people!!! Ok, time to go to bed. I was tired and tomorrow will be a loooong day, looking forward to a sunny day!
Africancrab says:
Lovely :)
Posted on: Nov 08, 2009
Cali General Tips & Advice review
Airport in Cali (Colombia) - Alfonso Bonilla Aragon (CLO)
First of all is important to know that this airport is not located right in Cali, but in Palmira which is just outside the city. So if you are arrivin… read entire review
Cali General Tips & Advice review
Clearing Customs and going through Security in Cali Colombia
This info might be applied for whole Colombian airports, but the only one I experienced was the one in Cali ;) When you are clearing customs, as in… read entire review
Cali Hostels review
Charming hostel in Cali with the friendliest owner - La Casa Cafe
The owner of a Colombian restaurant in Ecuador gave me a brochure of San Antonio – the traditional area of Cali – and recommended me to stay at le… read entire review
Cali