Now the fun begins - Elia Beach

Mykonos Travel Blog

Our fav beach - Elia

After a few days rest…now I was ready for the adventures!!

My friend and travel buddy arrived late last night, and as she wasn't coming far (ex London) I didn't have to worry about her suffering jetlag, mind you I was still feeling it:(

We decided today to venture out to one of my favorite beaches in Mykonos - Elia Beach.

I had over the last 2 days, made a few friends at the hotel who were fellow 'Australia' and all from 'Melbourne' so they were also joining us for the adventure...this was going to be extra fun with a group of Mykonos first timers!!!

I hired a car from the hotel 50 EURO a day NOTE: there is a bus right outside the hotel that takes you to Elia but I preferred to drive, and of course when you drive you can do the touristy thing on the way - stopping off for breakfast at one of the best pastry shops in Mykonos!!!      I had been dreaming of the Tiropita Greek Savory Cheese Pie and Spanakopita spinach and feta cheese pastry slice since I arrived!!

After we picked up our breakfast/brunch we headed down the thin and windy roads (Elia is located 10 kms from Mykonos town on the south side) to the picturesque Elia beach.

Elia Beach
The thing I love about Elia is you have plenty of room to swim, walk, and park. You don’t have an issue finding an umbrella and sun bed as with some other beaches. The bay is big but still protected from strong winds and it has a really cool laid back atmosphere with awesome music playing in the background!

I would suggest the best time to get there is between 10-12, the bed hire is 16 EURO for two sun beds and an umbrella, they are normally sold in twos (don’t worry you can get singles too) also they are definitely the most comfortable sun beds in all the island!!!! If you want to sit at the front section closest to the water then the beds and umbrella are 20 EURO for two.

So how the beach is split…. if you're standing looking at the ocean in front of you, the part of the beach furthest to the left is private and belongs to the Royal Myconian Hotel, but the rest is open to the public.

Elia Beach
The far right, at the very end by the rocks, is where all the nudists go, so if that's you, head towards the right!

Otherwise, the middle it is for me!! it is also where you can do all the water sports, Elia is known as the best beach for jet-skiing. They also have Watersports like water skiing, windsurfing or parasailing and awesome tube, dragon fly and banana boat rides. Although nothing comes cheap, tube rides are 15 EURO and Jet ski was 45 EURO for 15 mins!!

There are a couple of beach tavernas where you can eat, one has elevated seating (upstairs) and that is where they make all the food you can order on the beach (yes they have people serve you food and drinks all day) my favorite to order is the chicken club sandwich with fries at 12 EURO, they also make the best Iced Frappe’s!

But you can't go past the Elia (Olive) Restaurant; it has the most AMAZING food, not just Greek cuisine either, lots of seafood dishes, burgers, salads and pasta! So after a full day at the beach we headed there to eat and chill out.

Sunbaking at Elia
.....ideal before you go back to the hotel, nap and then head out againJ

Elia Beach
The BEAUTIFUL calamari at Elia The…
The BEAUTIFUL calamari at Elia Th…
Mykonos