Damm the jet lag!

Mykonos Travel Blog

Mykonos August 2009

Firstly for those of you who are not so familiar with the distance of Australia to anywhere else in the world:) I will politely point out that it’s not a hop, skip and jump to Greece.

The journey does involve a little flying time i.e. 22hrs and 30mins from Melbourne to Mykonos via Dubai.

You can get that down to 19hrs and 30 mins if you travel straight from Melbourne to Athens but I prefer to fly with Emirates hence my additional flight time. So after nearly 1.5 days of travel ��" this including all my stoppage in Singapore, Dubai and Athens. I finally landed in Mykonos thanks to Aegean Airlines for the 30 minute quick and safe side-flight from Athens.

Amazing room at Alkyon Hotel

NOTE: I will be writing later about my journey on the ferries but can I just say this now…..I highly recommend taking a plane over a ferry unless you are island hopping, and even then I would split it between the two! Obviously it comes down to time as well, if you think about a 6 hour ferry ride versus a 30min flight and you have the time to waste then by all means. Also the ferries do stop via some islands so you maybe doing an island hop which caters for this.

As soon as I arrived in Mykonos I got this over whelming relief of ‘I made it’ and ‘where’s the water’ it was 6.35PM and still around 30c so having not had a proper shower for all this time, the thought of jumping into the beautiful hotel pool was enough to make my mouth water!

Oh and I forgot to mention that this is my second time I have stayed at the Hotel Alkyon and I regularly keep in touch with the family through email and the wonders of Face book!!

Sophia and her family (mother, father and sister Anna) all do an amazing job ��" I am sure if you use the same hotel on your travels on a regular basis you would feel the same.

View from my Hotel room
You not only look forward to getting to your destination but seeing the friends you have made when you arrive.

Thankfully Sophia was waiting for me as I walked out of the arrivals, the hotel does provide the service of picking you up from the airport or port and dropping you off ��" which is fantastic.

NOTE: The Island does have taxis ��" only 36 of them so sometimes it’s not that easy to get a cab.

Once Sophia had me all packed into her ‘air-conditioned’ car, with excitement we spoke about the new developments on the island, how good business has been and how amazing the summer weather is.

I had started this trip solo but had a friend meeting me in a few days so I was going to appreciate the alone time before she arrived.

Once I got back to the hotel ��" and my BEAUTIFUL room with a view over Mykonos Town, I settled for a quiet night in…..not before I had a dip in the pool and a small meal from the local Thai restaurant up the road ‘Blu Ginger’ the only Thai/Chinese restaurant in Mykonos.

Then it was kalinihta from me!!!

Mykonos