Between The Turtle & The Shore.....& The Whiskey

Gili Trawangan Travel Blog

My bed lies less than 50 meters from the sea and some of the islands best snorkelling, made better by the remoteness of the northern end of the island.

After a quick dip in the morning sun and some of Ted's coffee, we both set off out to Helen's place. After a tea and a gigantic breakfast, I snorkelled just off the shore from her bar and got to see the sea turtles that Ted had told me about. This was so amazing and such a personal experience for me after working with a sea turtle conservation project in Costa Rica last year. I only saw baby turtles swimming down and now I finally got to see an adult swim.

It's amazing how quickly routine kicks in and you feel at home somewhere. As I always say, home is wherever I lay my hat.

I briefly and randomly bumped into Matthew & Naj along the shore but they went off somewhere else.

Me, Gemma & My Light Bulb Bernie

On my way out to have dinner, I got completely turned around in the jungle on the island for almost an hour that I settled for a Bintang or three in Helen's bar again.

Later that night, I randomly bumped into Jason again as I was stood by the Irish bar. In fact I had been standing next to him for a good five minutes before either of us noticed. He introduced me to a very intersting Aussie, Rusty (Greg). The three of us were having great banter. All the while, two girls at the bar kept making eye contact with me and laughing at our jokes & stories. It was a few minutes before jason introduced me to them, they were a nice Dutch girl, Jantien, and a lovely girl from Nottingham, Gemma.

With cheap drinks and 1 euro whiskey sours, things were really going in the right direction only made better by the cool company I was enjoying it with.

Wherever I Lay My Hat Is Home
I got my barman friend to show the girls all the magic tricks he had done the previous few nights. This included getting Jason & Jantien all tied up and very very close, almost too close for two people who had only met moments before.

As it turned out, Matthew & Naj were sat across from us this whole time at the bar too. We all left then and followed the party atmosphere of the islands big party in Rudys. Oddly, I was the only one to get over excited at the thought of drinking jugs of whiskey for less than 3 euro...thats right, jugs of whisky. Heaven.

All too soon the others were dropping off like flies. Before long, myself and Gemma were the only Westeners in the bar still going. I managed to really impress her with my impressive dance moves. Obviously lads must be really bad at dancing in Nottingham if those moves worked.

We hit it off so quickly, I have never met someone and so quickly realised how much I have in common with them, our travel plans were even similar enough not to mention our tastes in music and humour. Haha she even turned another guy down in the hopes that I might be interested....theres a first time for everything!

Later in the night, there came a point where we both decided to call it a night and that was the point when we realised that more men were trying it on with me than were hitting on her!!!

After walking Gem home, and finding my way through the alleys she led me up (I know, you think it would be the other way around), I caught a beautiful sunrise over the sea as the sun rose perfectly between two mountains way off in the distance of Lombok. I was happy the sun came up as it meant that I could easily find my wy through the jungle again!

Myself and Jason had made plans to hang around together while on the island so there should be some fun days ahead. Gemma had to catch the ferry in the morning to head to Oz but we made sure to make plans to meet again as our routes were pretty similar and we got on so well.

The Best Pizzas On The Island
The Best Pizzas On The Island
My Tent!
My Tent!
Gandalf The Wax Model As Made By H…
Gandalf The Wax Model As Made By …
Gemma