By Any Means Necessary

Wonosobo Travel Blog

Nobody ever said travel was easy. if it was, every Tom, Dick & Harry would be doing it.

I like going off the beaten track. Seeing things I would not have seen if I was on a tour being cattle prodded around in a stuffy coach. In Java, it is easy to get off the beaten track. Almost too easy. Every day felt like an adventure with no other tourists around. The two German boys were still the only tourists we had yet met in Indonesia.

Just before leaving Pangandaran, I ran down to the beach for the morning. Down there I heard footsteps running behind me. It was Lenny & Johannes again. I almost would have stayed another day in town to hang out with them but decided to meet them in Yogyakarta in a few days time.

Pangandaran to our next destination, Wonosobo, is either 3 buses or 1 bus & 1 train.

Well one bus became two. The train was not operating today when we got there. A friendly local, looking for money, insisted on taking us to the next bus station on his cycle rickshaw. We almost killed the two guys cycling as they struggled to make it up the hilled streets and humback bridges with our weight coupled with our bags in the midday heat. School children insistently jumped in front of us getting in the way of our "drivers" to spot a better look at the all too white tourists.

The next bus confusingily became two as the locals ushered us around. When that bus stopped another horde men established our destination then decided to help us by moving our bags then grabbing us to get onto yet another final bus....we hoped.....

When we finally made it into town, it was dark, late and not a lot seemed to be still open. There also appeared to be a lack of cheap accomodation in town...that we could find. A few places we went into almost seemed to be closed down. We eventually gave in and checked into the first place we saw. Not a great spot but they did bring us some free tea and would great free breakfast.

We set off for a stroll round town to find some food. We stopped in a little stall but the food was not that great and not enough to fill us up. We carried on walking around the street and actually ended up eating in the Asian restaurant right next to that stall from earlier. This was a lovely restaurant were you sit on the ground. This was much more like it. Then it was off to sleep excited about the day ahead of us...hoping it might be easier to get there this time...

Wonosobo