Ah Bogor It's Bandung!

Bandung Travel Blog

Bernie The Light Bulb Meets Strobels The Shot Glass

While on the train to Bogor from Jakarta, we finally discussed our plans for the next few weeks properly and as such we decided to skip the next couple of stops in favour for going straight to Bandung.

This entailed following the Lonely Planet's direction that suggested it was a 2km walk to the bus station. Over 5km later and a few hundred smiling, waving & giggling children and one unfortunate detour later we had finally made it. The people we met along the way in Bogor were so lovely. I think my first thoughts of there being few tourists was reaffirmed by the locals, they seemed amazed by the sight of myself & Matthew walking through the streets.

The Rice Harvest
Sometimes this is taken with some apprehension yet on this occassion it all seemed so genuine. It was lovely.

The buses in Indonesia are truly something to write home about. It's part of the culture that appears deeply engrainded in the locals.

As the bus drives along, one guy hangs out the door shouting to any person who just happens to be stood still. At every opportunity, singers, percusionists, guitarists violinists, ukelele-ists and anyone else who wants to muder a song, can jump aboard play a bit of a song before looking for money to pay for the aural pleasure of hearing his gift from the heavens to music. The surprising thing is, no matter how badly they play, they always seem to get some coins. Interestingily enough they also rarely pestered me, it was more so the locals.

The Rice Harvest

The local musicians are not the only bus hoppers. The musicians are accompanied by the myriad of men jumping on board to sell exactly the same food as the last man. They all gave myself and Matthew various prices that were ridiculousy over priced yet it was not until a friendly local pointed out did we realise that they all cost the same, RP2,000 each.

When we got to Bandung, I realised Lonely Planet Syndrome had kicked in as our chosen hostel had not only been closed down but was closed down several years ago. Thank you very much Lonely Planet for all the driving around in circles trying to find it.

When we finally chose on a different place, we were instantly met by the resident tour guide trying to unload his overpriced tours on us. He wouldnt budge on the price so we checked in and popped out in search for some good mie goreng.

The Rice Harvest
Back at the hotel, the tour guide had dropped the price as two German lads had decided to go. I would later find out that they only agreed to the tour...after we had paid up!

It was an early start but with a free Indonesian breakfast. A few of the stops on the tour felt a little random if not redundant like seeing a strawberry field or the tofu plantation though that did give us lads the opportunity to test our manhood by all eating hot chilli only to be beaten by a little kid munching down the chilli without any effort. Then we went to some rice fields which was nothing new to any of us on the tour but it was nice to see them in mid harvest and get a fuller understanding of the process.

Seeing the tea plantation was fantastic as I am quite the tea lover. As far as the eye could see were fields full of tea trees.

The Local Petrol Station
Actually while there I took my customary photo of my light bulb which seemed to strike a cord with the Lenny, one of the German lads. As it turned out, himself and Johannes had been travelling with a shot glass that oddly enough had a photo embossed on it of a local German politician named Strobels...or something similar. They took this glass everywhere they went too. It was pretty amazing as they were the first people I have yet to meet on my travels that also use some fragile glass as their travel companion.

We then walked up through a volcanoe to mess about in some hot springs. The thing that struck us most was the houses we saw that turned out to be on the inside of the volcanic cone. We had to stop and speak with the village elder to get permission to enter the land. I am fairly certain that this was all a front or a show for our benefit and that it was wholly unnecessary.

Bamboo

After we dried off from the hot pools, we were driven off to see a lake in the area shrouded in mist. The lake is apparently a big weekend destination for the Javanese. This explained the large market surrounding the lake.

The German lads were great craic. Although fresh from school, the two boys really had their heads screwed on. They really enjoy photography which was the cause of much banter throughout the day and since. Hopefully we will stay in touch.

Back at the hotel,we grabbed our bags, said goodbye to the boys and jumped in a min ibus to take us on to our next destination. Today was a good day. Back in the holiday mood good and proper. Really felt like I was seeign and doing interesting stuff now.

derekbilldaly says:
Hmmmm this could be very very true!! hehe
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011
nanie05 says:
Has it ever crossed your mind that the locals pay the singers/musicians to STOP singing?..LOL!!
Posted on: Jan 23, 2011
Bernie The Light Bulb Meets Strobe…
Bernie The Light Bulb Meets Strob…
Making Tofu