Today we're in Ephesus

Kusadasi Travel Blog

What a great day we had today. Started out not so great, though. We've been having room service for breakfast, especially on the mornings when we need to leave early for a tour. It was ordered to be delivered between 6:30 and 7AM. It usually comes right at the earliest time, so we expected it at 6:30. Well, it was around 2 minutes before 7, and still no breakfast, so we decided we'd better run and get something to take with us so we didn't miss our tour. Just as we were walking out the door, breakfast came. Unfortunately, we didn't notice until he left that there was NO COFFEE!! What a way to start the day! Luckily, we had some extra time to go to the coffee bar and get a cup to take with us. After that, the day couldn't have been more perfect. The weather was awesome, we had extra space on the tour bus, so we could spread out, we had a wonderful tour guide, and the tour was amazing. I'd been starting to get a little tired of ruins, but Ephesus is unbelievable. There is an area called the Terrace Houses. I'd heard of them, but had no idea what to expect. Well, they are a group of 7 homes built between 2BC and 5AD, into the side of a hill, attached to each other. (Kind of a precursor to town homes.) They are just amazing. The smallest is around 3500 sq. ft. They've got ceramic piping for heat and hot water, incredibly beautiful mosaic tile floors and wall murals, gorgeous marble wainscoting. It's just unbelievable that they had the knowledge back then to do work like that. The craftsmanship is incredible. I'm not sure how to add pictures to this blog, but will put them on Shutterfly and add the link at the end of this blog.

Since we were going to Ephesus today, I decided to read Paul's letter to the Ephesians last night. This trip really gave me a little more insight into that Book of the Bible. Paul is complementing the Ephesians for their faith and encouraging them to continue. Well, today I learned that Ephesus was one of the biggest areas for idol-worship at that time, so imagine how hard it was for the early Christians to continue in their faith. In the part where the silversmiths riot against Paul and the Christians because they were stopping the idol worship because it was cutting into their business of making the idols, I envisioned maybe 20 or so silversmiths. We learned today that there were 20,000 of them! I also had no idea of how large the population of Ephesus was at that time – around 250,000.

On the way back to the ship, we were taken to a place where they make (and sell, of course) Turkish rugs. Watched the demonstration of how they make them, which was very interesting, but we had no interest in buying any. We were served Turkish coffee (really strong, but good) and the BEST baklava we've ever had.

Oh, and I've been forgetting to mention that this whole area has loads of stray dogs. Not as many here as in the 2 previous stops, but still quite a few. Don't know what that's all about.

Got back to the ship around noon and went to the buffet for lunch, which was a mistake, because I was still full by dinner time, so ended up with just an appetizer, salad, and dessert (my favorite – berries and cream). After dinner, Ray went to the show, a magician. I'm not crazy about magicians, so I browsed in some of the shops and came back to the cabin. He just loves magicians. He even sat in the 2nd row hoping he'd get picked for one of the acts. He was pretty disappointed when he wasn't.

So, it's time to get to bed. Another early start in the morning. We're meeting at 7:45AM for our tour of Istanbul.

ibpsualum says:
So, at the magician show, it must have been Dad and a bunch of little kids right up front yelling "pick me, pick me!!" I can picture it.

Posted on: Nov 22, 2009