Now We're in Spain

Barcelona Travel Blog

Today is the day that 30 or so of us (Cruise Critic people) met to do a “trek” around Barcelona led by Daniel. Daniel is very well-traveled, I think probably a travel agent, and has been supplying us with all kinds of information on all the ports before the trip. He had this “trek” planned, and lots of us decided to join him. This is also the day to exchange the euros into Moroccan drahms for our trip to Rabat on Sunday. The reason for this exchange is that the train to Rabat only takes their money, and, since it will be a Sunday, we don't think we'll be able to change it when we go. After visiting several banks, Daniel was finally able to make the exchange at a money exchange place. Then we started our walk up Las Ramblas, which is a wide street (no cars) with street entertainers, little shops, etc., all along. There is a big section with flowers for sale, another big section with birds and small animals (I walked fast past that section), etc. We've been here before, too, but it's always a fun place to walk. Partway along, we decided to split off and go on our own. There was a huge food market that we wanted to check out. Really an interesting place! Lots of really unusual fish – some huge ugly ones! (got pictures of them) Beautiful candy. Candy isn't one of my weaknesses, but this candy was so nice looking that I was really tempted. It was in all colors, shapes, etc. It's so fun to go through places like this and see how different things are in other countries. From there we went to the Gothic area where the Christmas market that I've been so looking forward to is located. This is in front of a big cathedral (not the famous one designed by Gaudi). There are many, many booths, most of them selling nativities and all the figures for them, including enough figures, buildings, streams, etc., to make a whole village. Many of the figurines were motorized showing the people hammering, fishing, etc. If I had lots of money and lots of room to display, I'd have been really tempted. But how much fun to look at all of it. Unfortunately, the prices were a little over my budget, and you couldn't buy just Jesus, Mary, & Joseph. They all came along with 2 cows and an angel. All the other figures came alone except them. So, I was really happy that I bought the Nativity in Livorno. Went to the show tonight. It was a comedian, which we usually skip, but he was pretty good.
photo by: fivepointpalm