Paddys green shamrock shores

Limerick Travel Blog

 › entry 5 of 15 › view all entries
Dinner was in the hotel resturant. A bit foo foo for me, but excellent.

After landing in Newark, we had an approx 2 hour layover. The terminal was well layed out and there was plenty of room.  It was roughly lunch time for us, so we stopped in the terminal McD’s and had a quick bite to eat. Now before any of you say anything about us going on vacation and eating in American fast food establishments, keep in mind the most expensive part of a trip can be the meals.  It is nice having a kids with me that does not care where we eat. I am not saying we will not have a few nice meals, but the ability to go cheep means I can spend money on other activities like sites and shopping.


The 2 hours went by quickly and soon we were on the 2nd flight from Newark to Shannon.

This was another 757. And my video screen worked this time. As try as I might I still can not sleep on an airplane…so I watched the last Harry Potter movie, and a couple of weekly comedies. We has a nice tail wind as we headed east. That tail wind put us in at Shannon about 30 minutes ahead of schedule. The tail wind made it a bit bumpy at times, but it really was not too bad. And the food on this flight was much better than the first. A nice beef and potato meal for dinner, and then a crescent for breakfast. We deplaned and headed towards customs to get the official blessing of entry to Ireland, then headed down to the baggage claim area. I was very relieved when I saw both of our bags come up and onto the belt. We claimed our bags and then moved out towards the terminal exit where we were met by Kate from Hammond Tours. Kate was the same lady that met us the last time, so I recognized her right away. We checked in with her and then waited to get loaded up on the bus.


As we waited we found out the plans for the day had changed.

The other half of the tour had flown into Dublin and was waiting for a connection to Shannon. They would not be meeting us until later in the afternoon. In order to keep the tour together, it was decided we would go straight to the hotel (after a quick stop at Bunratty Castle to pick up a couple that had flown over on their own a few days earlier). Instead of the planned tour for the day we would be given the chance to take a nap and explore Limerick. Well it was cold and rainy and we had been up for about 24 hours by this time, so as disappointed as I might be at the change of plans, when I did lay my head down, I was grateful. We ended up sleeping to long so we did not get to go out today to see Limerick. That was a shame because I understand that King John’s castle is pretty nice.


After waking up, we showered and made ourselves presentable and went down for the welcoming dinner.

Everybody on the tour was there and it was nice to see some old faces from last year, as well as meeting some people I had been chatting with online. After dinner some of the group were going out bar hopping. Normally I would have joined in, but since I have Brian with me, that did not seem appropriate. We went back up to the room and relaxed so we would be bright tailed and bushy eyed the next day.

p.s. Some might notice the date seems off. By the time we landed in Shannon, the combination of travel time and change in time zones made it Friday. :)


Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Dinner was in the hotel resturant.…
Dinner was in the hotel resturant…
View of our Hotel from down river.
View of our Hotel from down river.
Random life ring along the river
Random life ring along the river
Swans are pretty where ever you fi…
Swans are pretty where ever you f…
Shannon Rowing Club
Shannon Rowing Club
photo by: Hummingbird