Revolution Square, Problem Relatives and Football

Bucharest Travel Blog

Isvor Park

Was raining steadily when I woke up so I was in no rush to get out. Had seen most of what I had planned to do yesterday and was really just wanting to go to Piata Revolutiei. Lazily headed for the Metro for the two stops to Universitate. Had to judge on the map what the best street to cut down to it would be and ended up again in a building site with the road being dug up. No health and safety issues to stop you here though you just meander between the diggers and the lorries :-D

Managed to find more sex shops and casinos tucked into the streets behind the main roads. Got to the square and there is a really nice building, the library of the university, and right next to it a horrible government building that used to be used by the Central Committee of the Romanian Communist Party and was where  Ceau┼čescu fled from Bucharest .

Obligatory Daily Photo Of Casa Populari
 Right in the middle of it is the Memorial Of Rebirth In Revolution, meant to represent freedom breaking through barbed wire but locals thing look like an olive on a cocktail stick. It has two small walls beside it commemerating the names of those killed in the revolution.

The most fascinating bit, I thought, was the house that was destroyed during the uprising and where the shell has been preserved, with the bullet holes all over the walls, but inside a new multi strorey building has been built and is now the headquarters of the Bucharest Architechtural Union.

Cold and soaked I decided to head back to the main road and was going to go into the KFC to get something to eat and drink and to get warm, when I saw one of my distant cousins,Donald, through the window.

Grey building
I went in and over to talk to him and his mate and got all the woes of the hotel they had been in. They had tried to charge them again, despite it being paid before they had tavelled, and had to argue for 2 hours before getting into the room. The place was disgusting and they were refusing to stay another night, so they had their bags with them. I offered to let them dump their bags in my hotel, as they were just going to head to the airport after the game. We jumped on the Metro back down to the Ibis and got that done . They were to meet another guy, who was getting them tickets for the game, in Bordellos so I took them there since I already knew where it was. went in and it was heaving by now as the day flights had arrived from Glasgow.
Moulin Rouge is not only in Paris
Met 3 guys from my own local supporters club but decided I wasn't staying but would go up and get my mates.

Fara was in McDonalds when I got hold of him so I decided to use the chance to refuel myself and then we headed round to the bar in the HoJo to meet up with the rest. There was a Dutch guy, Roger, that I had met when in the day before when he was in with two of his colleagues, who had asked then about going to the game. One of the boys had got him in touch with the Travel Club reps and as you have to be a member to get a ticket he had signed up to join and got his ticket at breakfast that morning. Took it real easy and the boys from the Travel Club were getting bused over to the ground 3 hours before kick off. Was offered to go with them but I wanted to get back to hotel as after the game they were going straight to the airport and I would have to find my own way back.

yet another Sex Shop

Thanks to TB Wiel, I knew I could get a 385 bus along to the ground,the Steaua Stadium, from just outside my hotel. Probably got off a couple of stops earlier than i should, but by then the traffic was backed up and it was just as quick to walk. The area around the stadium was muddy and dark and then getting into the ground was a problem as there was only ine gate open and the stewards were pretty incompetent. There were stewards over from Glasgow, to try to help, and they were warning those about me to keep it calm as the police were already getting jumpy and it was still more than 45 minutes until the game kicked off.

I got up to the top and saw my mates and went over to join them. The ground started to fill and it was sson apparent that there was not really enough room for everybody.

University Library
Later there were guys coming in and squeezing in beside us who never made it in until 10 minutes before half time. There had been severe crowding issues outside and the police and stewards had reacted by spaying them with CS gas and pepper spray. Tensions were running high and when stewards at the front tried to remove flags trouble broke out and again their reaction was to use tear gas which resulted in chairs being ripped out and thrown at them. Wasn't really that bad and didn't last long, but it will get us into trouble with the governing authorities again.

The game itself was OK and we played a lot better than we did 3 weeks before at home and took the lead late in the game, only for Unirea to snathc a late equaliser a minute from time. We were only held back in the ground for 10 minutes, which is relatively short for a Euro away game and were out of the stadium by 23-55.

Central Committee Building

Coming out and up to the main road there was no sign of any buses, just loads of taxis, so I decided to walk it back. Didn't seem so far on the bus on the way there and it took me 45 minutes. Walking along the road it was weird with steam coming up out of all the drainn covers and there was a row of coffin shops :-O .Back in the hotel I sent my cousin a text to let him know I was there and he phoned me from a city centre pub and said for me to come along. I was walking nowhere else tonight, so I waited at the hotel with a few more Bears in the bar.

Donald and his mate Andy turned up at 2am and I was asked two favours. Donald wanted a shower and the two of them had now spent all their money and needed to borrow some. I hadn't spent anywhere near what I had budgeted for so I gave them 200Lei ,  which we then proceeded to spend at the bar.

Church at Piata Revoltutiei
They were in no rush to go, as there were plenty of others here and the hotel staff were quite happy for the bar being open, but by 4-30am I had had enough and left them to it. They must have been OK, since they weren't there the following morning and there were no unexpected additional charges on my room.

Marius1981 says:
the thing was that the stadium belongs to steaua bucharest, they probably didnt care about the security and the whole organising procedure, they just rented the place to unirea, who didnt know how to organize the event.
hence the whole incident at half time
Posted on: Feb 17, 2010
Isvor Park
Obligatory Daily Photo Of Casa Pop…
Obligatory Daily Photo Of Casa Po…
Strret off the square
Teams Line Up
Teams Line Up
Kick Off
Kick Off
Newest Member Of Rangers Travel Cl…
Newest Member Of Rangers Travel C…
Final Score