Zanzibar- Spice tour etc

Zanzibar Travel Blog

Alan, Steve, Helen and Edwin in the background. This was from the night befor at the snake pit

Today we had an early start I had a very rough night and was late to the bus; the leaders were just on the way to get me. We had to leave early to catch a ferry over to Zanzibar so we had to cart our luggage with us, it was quite a walk and my bag is heavy and the strap really digs in to your shoulder.  We got on the ferry after having our bags searched and we were searched.

The ferry ride was roughly 1hr30mins and it didn’t help I felt sick already without the added sea sickness.

old fort
We arrived at stone town and meet our guide’s for the day. We went  for a drink first then we got taken on the tour, we all went apart from Anne.  The first place we got taken to was an old Arab fort, this was quite interesting, then we seen the house of wonder’s (it was called this because it was the first house to have electricity and a lift etc).

The guide then took us to the old slave centre where another guide showed us around and explained what had happened there years ago, this I found interesting then we got taken to a church. After this was the spice tour, our guide took us around and showed us how different spices that are grown and where they come from and their uses. I never knew that the certain spices come from where they did. We had a chance of smelling and tasting some of these.

Old fort
For lunch they had laid out different fruits for us and we tried cinnamon tee, ginger tea and a mix tee theses were nice but didn’t help with the pains in my gut. I had a bit of fruit but not much.

At the end we bought some spices, and watched a man climb and knock coconuts down and we got to drink the milk I had a little. I then got given a hat made from these leaves I wore it and Alan wore his tie we looked funny. We then drove to the north of the island at a place called Nugwi. The place is at a nice location right on the beach, and it has several restaurants and a bar within a few min walk and more along the beaches. The rooms are very simple but that is all I need. I just got everything sorted and paid for then put my washing in and then went to the bar and chatted to the others. I went for a little walk on the beach, it was arranged that we would have a group meal I only had sprite to drink, as my stomach is still bad.

nice church
We went to a restaurant on the beach; it was very nice we got to watch the sun go down over the sea. Everyone was looking very smart tonight. There was a good choice on the menu but I just wanted a plain meal and as there was a lot of fish dishes I went for barracuda and rice it was nice.

After the meal and a drink I had a safari larger well half of it. We noticed a pool table in the sand outside of a bar a few mins down the beach so Alan, Steve and myself went for a few games. There was a group of lads playing so we went and asked if we could play in a minute they agreed but the way it worked was winner stays on and loser pays so fair enough. They chatted between themselves smirking and picked their best player so Alan told me to try first. The guy was hell of a good he potted all but one of his balls the black and I had all mine left I had not had a shot yet.

These carved wooden doors were everywhere
I thought you cheeky git but I somehow managed to pot every single ball including the black in a row in about 2minutes. The guys looked shocked I beat their mate.  He come up and shook my hand and said good game and I like Jimmy Hendricks I thought  he was a musician? Anyway I impressed Alan he said I was scary haha.

So I played him next and beat him then one of the lads challenged me, it was a close match I would of won but I thought I had one shot so I snookered him then had to play again so he had the black over the corner pocket.  I put my ball touching the black so he had no clear shoot, then again nor did I. He fouled on purpose so I gentle ran the ball so again it was just touching my ball. He stopped and chatted to his mate then played dirty I told Alan what he was going to do even before he done it, and that was on purpose tap the ball to give me two shoots very sneaky hehe.

I then had the choice keep playing that way all night, pot the white on purpose and give him two shoots again or let him win and smack my ball and pot the black for him so I done this. We then walked back and I went for a quite drink at the bar. It is know only 10 but everyone has gone to bed and I am really tired. It was a nice night having a meal with everyone in such a nice place.

Alan, Steve, Helen and Edwin in th…
Alan, Steve, Helen and Edwin in t…
nice church
These carved wooden doors were eve…
These carved wooden doors were ev…
old slave market