Kinsale & The Old Head

Kinsale Travel Blog

After my trip to Cobh I decided I would head down to Kinsale, and perhaps see Desmond Castle. I knew I would be too late to get into the castle, but I at least thought I'd have a look and see what it was like! I was more than happy to drive from East to West Cork, especially as it gave me a good chance to test out my new GPS, which I'm happy to report worked flawlessly for most trips. Unfortuanately Desmond Castle wasn't listed as a point of interest in the satellite navigation system, but the street it allegedly is on (Cork St) is, so I asked the system to bring me there.

After arriving in Kinsale, I took a wrong turn and the system rerouted me up some steep hills and down the narrowest streets I've been on in a long time. Being from Cork, I'm used to very narrow streets, but let's just say that the car was the width of the street in this case, so the margin for error was zero! That said, I managed to squeeze through and eventually the GPS told me to turn left and that I had arrived at my destination! Conveniently, this was in a public car park, so I parked the car and went to look for Desmond Castle!

When I first got out of the car I saw an attractive building across the road, which turned out to be a church. I ended up not finding Desmond Castle at all, and strolled into Kinsale, taking the opportunity to get some photos. After sufficient snapping, I returned to my car, and although I originally intended on just driving home, I made a spur of the moment decision to drive out to the Old Head, where lies one of Ireland's most expensive golf courses.
It was a beautiful day, and the Old Head was simply stunning. As I drove up over the hills on the narrow roads, I caught a glimpse of some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen in a long time. I was extremely disappointed by the lack of lay-by areas where one could take photos, as this place really does have to be seen to be believed. I got some photos from further up and further away, but they don't do the place justice!

Eventually I settled down for a few minutes on the beach and relaxed, before setting off on more trips down shitty country roads that lead to nowhere, hoping for a good viewing point. Finding none I set off home, and en route I came across Sandycove, a beautiful little cove, where it was possible to take some breathtaking pictures. There were several points between here and Kinsale for me to pull in and take photos, so I took every opportunity I was presented with to do so!

I have always wondered what the big hulabaloo was about Kinsale, and today I found out that it has nothing to do with the town of Kinsale itself, but what lies around it. The town centre is where the masses of tourists gather to eat, sleep and buy gifts, but it's when you take the car out to the surrounding area is when the unforgettable experience begins!
Kinsale