Fota Gardens & Cobh

Cobh Travel Blog

After my exam today I drove down to Fota Gardens and Arboretum near Cobh, Co. Cork. As is customary in my blogs, I got down there just before it was closing, so only got to spend half an hour there. The gardens are beautiful, and extremely peaceful. Located adjacent to Fota Wildlife Park, the gardens feature many distinctive trees and plants. Anyone interested in botany will love the place! There is a pleasure garden here aswell, but unfortunately it closes at 4.30pm so I didn't get to go in. I did have a peek in through the fine gates, mind you! :)

After the gardens I hopped back in the car and drove into Cobh. I parked in the free parking area, about 5 minutes walk from the town centre. The harbour is stunning, and there were plenty of people fishing when I walked past.
I have been to Cobh many times in the past, but I have never noticed the amazing cathedral there, which is very hard to believe due to its towering presence over the town!

Cobh appears to have become a bit of a ghost-town, and was very quiet in comparison with the last time I visited. There used to be an excellent bar/restaurant called "The Titanic", but it looked like they had closed down for good today, which is a shame. This place featured many photographs and items from the Titanic itself. I came down here with Jill for my 16th birthday (six years ago, hard to believe!), and I think it was the first time I drank in a pub (I drank in fields plenty of times before that :D).

Despite its recent demise, it is still a nice place to visit, and the Queenstown Story, set in unused sections of the train station, is well worth visiting, in the Heritage Centre. On my next trip I'm going to visit St. Coleman's Cathedral, and I recommend you do too, despite the fact I haven't been inside myself! It just looks amazing from the outside, and I can't imagine that being any different inside.
Cobh