My first visit to Cork, Ireland

Cork Travel Blog

Larry Tompkins Bar

I'm actually very excited about this trip as it will be my very first one into an European nation. But still, no matter how excited I am about it, I know that I will not have a full blast of excitement cause there are serious stuff involved - I have a series of three days workshop and a day of presentation. Anyhow I promised myself to squeeze every bit of minute I have to explore this city.

Cork is actually the second largest city in Ireland and pretty famous for its rivers & castles. In particular, the Blarney Castle. At this time of the year, it is usually raining and the funny thing is, it rains for 5 minutes, stops and after another minute, it rains again. The spell goes on and on and on & this is now a part of this city's attraction.

English Market
Haha. "Unfortunately", during my entire stay here, this didn't happen so I was quite disappointed having travelled from a country which is dry all year round. My peers have started to joke around saying that I brought the sun along with me to Cork...haha.

I took a connection flight from Schipol and flight was on time. Sky was clear & weather was amazing. After arriving at the airport, I was quite surprised that there was a K9 check. This is my first time experiencing this, but I guess this was due to the fact that I arrived from Amsterdam. The passengers stood in a line & baggages down on the floor while the police dogs do their sniffings.

Cork Butter Museum
 For a minute, I was a little anxious what-if somebody dropped a pack of MJ into my pocket - gosh, I'm gonna be arrested!!! Before my imagination went even wilder, the check was over and I'm now at the passport control counter. The officer was very friendly, asking me if this is my first time to Cork & where will I be staying. So with all questions asked & answered, I have my passport stamped & I'm set to go. I arrived at 10am and by the time I settled down with my hotel check in, it was 12noon. Skipped lunch & I left immediately to explore the city as my course only starts tomorrow morning.

I stayed at McCurtain Street so everything was very convenient & easy reach - bars, restaurants, convenient stores & even shopping.

Firkin Crane
Realised that shops will close by 5pm, so I had to be fast. I left for Patrick Street on foot while enjoying the scenic beauty along the way. With no maps to help, I just make my own way on every street there is. It was Sunday weekend, so the streets were packed with shoppers & families. Street performers were impressing & entertaining the crowds. After roaming around and taking few pictures, shops are beginning to close so I find my way back to the hotel. I grabbed a quick sandwich from Subway along the way as my dinner. I planned to rest early since I'll have a long day tomorrow & I really wouldn't want to be late.

Next morning, got up quite early as I'm still on 2hrs body clock behind Cork.

Shakey Bridge
So, I went for a quick swim before breakfast. The Irish breakfast served was very good. I had a good plate of sausage, bacon strips, mushrooms & hashbrown combi + a glass of orange juice + a pot of hot coffee. Soon, it's time to get serious and I head to the venue of my workshop.

The entire 3 days were spent in the training room from 9am till 6pm facing the computer & flipchart. And by the time the course finishes, the shops & attraction sites have also closed. So, what do I do in the evenings?? The pubs of course. Me and a few of the coursemates stayed back later part of the evening to try out some of the local pubs. During the course of the 3 days, I've visited the following pubs which were quite good & they serve good lunches too - Dan Lowry, Shelbourne & Gallaghers.

University College Cork UCC
They are all located in McCurtain St which is close to our training venue. Being in Ireland, you've got to taste the ales even if you don't drink. Best ales I've tried are: Murphy, Kilkenny & Beamish. At about 10pm, we headed back to our own rooms & finish off the day.

My routine for the next 2 days are the same so there's nothing much to blog about. However, on my last day in Cork, I managed to do a little touristic activity - which is visiting some of the attractions. As I have to catch a late afternoon flight, I decided not to enter to the attractions as that would lose a lot of time. Instead, I opted for a walk following the routes of the open-top bus using a map. Apart from inhaling the fresh air, I also get to do some physical footwork which will be good after days of eating & drinking.

Beamish & Crawford Factory
Some of the famous attractions I passed on my stroll were as follow:

4 Face Liar Clock & Shandon Tower, Butter Museum, Firkin Crane, City Gaol (Old City Jail), University College Cork, Shakey's Bridge, St Finbarre's Cathedral, Beamish & Crawford Brewery & City Hall.

After all that and after having few photos taken, I left for the airport and there goes my Cork visit. Short & sweet I'd say. If I have the time or opportunity again, I'll definitely visit Blarney Castle. It is located slightly further away from the city center, but would definitely be a nice memory to keep. Overall, I'm satisfied with my trip considering the very little personal time that I had.

Unique Door
Cork Gaol
Cork Gaol
Cork Hotels & Accommodations review
Great location
Located at McCurtain Street in the city center and very convenient to bars, restaurants & convenient stores. Bars open till 4am in the morning during … read entire review