A busy, wet and long day

Ringroad 1 South/East Travel Blog

Lauro and me at the Seljalandfoss

What a great first night we had! A few people slept in tents, some in cars and 8 of us slept under a tarp. Even though most of us only met two days before, we had to squeeze in and spoon to get every one in the shelter. Matthew woke up extremely happy: he had been the little spoon for the first time in his life.

It was a cold and windy morning. We got up at 7.30am, packed all our stuff, boiled hot water for breakfast and tea and drove to the Solheimajoküll Glacier where we were supposed to meet the Mountain Guides for our glacier hike. We arrived at 10.30, just like agreed. But at 12.30pm there were still no guides... I was very disappointed. The guy I arranged the hike with, forgot to change the time and was on holiday at the moment. We would be contacted later in the week if we could do the same hike on Saturday.

Lets build a pyramid

It was rainy, wet and cold and after a long time waiting we continued our trip. On the way to the Glacier we drove past the Seljalandfoss waterfall. We went back to this place, where you can walk behind the fall. Pretty cool. We had lunch here and made a human pyramid. It took a while, but in the end we managed! Check the pics :-) After that we visited the Skógarfoss where there was a rainbow in the waterfall.

Continuing the drive, with very strong side winds, I was swaying over the road with the heave Landrover with roofbox. This morning the cars got nicknames. Not sure where it started, but I think it was in the Landcruiser. The Lada Niva transformed in the SHIT CAR since it drove like shit according to the drivers, The Cruiser became the BANDIT and the Landrover with hard seats in the back was named the ASS KILLA.
.. We got a lot of looks and raised eyebrows all week long.

Late afternoon we arrived in Vik. A little town with black sand beaches and the Reynisdrangar. Rock sculptures at the coast that are believed to be petrified trolls in the Icelandic fairy tales. It is a pretty sight and with the hard wind, strong rain and black sand, it's like watching at a black and white scenery.
At the gas station people had dinner and Matt and I tried to fill up the Landrover, but we didn't got a key for the fuel cap... oops! We called the rental company and they told us to break it and buy a new one. But Matt used to be a lock smith and with his pocket knife and not forgotten skill he opened the fuel cap!

We still had a long way to go. Plan was to camp at the Joküllsárlon, the floating icebergs.

We drove for hours. Unfortunately we had to skip Skaftafell NP, because it was dark when we passed it. For a long time we had Europe's largest glacier on our left, the Vatnajoküll. Around 8pm we really wanted to find a campsite, eventhough we hadn't reach the icebergs yet. On both sides of the road was water. Impossible to build our camp. Around 8.30pm we got a little despaired and drove up the hill to little farmer community. The first door we knocked on was from an elderly couple who didn't speak English and send us away. We didn't give up and went to the next farm to ask if we could camp on their land. A man opened the door, didn't speak English, but called his wife on the phone and we talked to her. It wasn't a problem at all and we were let in gate that accessed to their land. Very nice and helpful people.
In the pooring rain and never stopping winds, we build our shelter and set up some tents. 9 people slept in the cars that night, all the Dutchies (Lieke, Wilmke, Erik and me) slept under tarp and the rest in tents. I slept like a baby! I love sleeping outdoors. It's just so relax.

RJ82 says:
thank the bandit for the names. hahah
Posted on: Oct 15, 2010