Swimming in a cold lake, picture time, northern lights

South/West Travel Blog

What a way of waking up!

The sun is shining. I woke up at 9am. Waking up from a coma! Every one was up and running around. Rainbows every where, the whole arch on the plateau. The tents and the tarp where still wet (it was still sort of raining), but we had to start packing up.
After a ten minute drive we parked the cars and hiked up to the Snaefellsjoküll Glacier. All the clouds had disappeared and we had a beautiful blue sky. Good morning sunshine! Nice! From up the glacier we could even see the ocean.

The last full day of the road trip! I can't believe it's almost over. Somehow it looks like this trip is over so soon, on the other side it feels like I left home a month ago, instead of eight days ago. It is so great to be here. So great to have all this wonderful people here.

It is a very special adventure and experience. Lauro and I worked so long on this trip to get every thing organised and it all worked out so well! I'm a really happy girl!

We had time enough for a little drive to the interior of Iceland. We drove up to the Langjoküll Glacier on an off road track. Again the ASS KILLA killed some butts... the SHIT CAR had a lot of fun, and the fully loaded BANDIT was drifting through the turns. On the left side a glacier, on the right side a moon look-a-like landscape.
We found ourselves back at the Thingvellavátn Lake. We drove past it a week ago, the first day of the roadtrip when we did the Golden Circle. We found a beautiful spot near the off road to build camp for the last night.

I got the crazy thing in mind to go for a swim! I didn't want to be the only one.

Jeff with rainbow
Erik was in right away, and Amber, Ashish and Dave joined as well. Frigging awesome! We changed into swimming clothes and ran in the water. It was soooooo cold! We did a few strokes and ran back out as soon as possible. The water was freezing and our feet were burning on the stones. Coming out of the water was great. I felt so fresh and full of energy and the air temperature felt nice and warm. Before I jumped in the water I was wearing four layers of clothes... The water was probably 4 degrees C and the air about 8 degrees C. Jumping in a lake or river was on my to-do-list for Iceland: Check! An hour later Janja, Matthew and RJ went for a swim. Well done!!!

After dinner we played socces/football in the dark and tried out Matt's camera with some awesome settings. Love it! I know Jeff felt violated when taking some of the pics... lol
Last night... Too soon. We calmed down a bit, and sat together on the beach, keeping each other warm. At one point it was too cold to stay outside and we went to bed.
In the middle of the night I heard Matt and Lauro yelling out loud: Northern Lights!!!! Unfortunately I couldn't see it. I'm wearing contacts and when I don't I'm so f*cking blind! I can't even see stars without contacts, so imagine a faint northern light... bugger... But still, it was there! What a bonus!

Janja and I at the Snaefellsjoküll