Here we go!

Golden Circle Travel Blog

Today is the day we leave for our roadtrip. Eight days of driving around in 4x4's to conquer all the beauty Iceland has to offer.

I woke up with the worst headache in ages! Wow, that beer last night was horrible. I wasn't the only one with a hangover. Matthew didn't feel too good either. After six asprins I slowly started to feel human again and the ongoing beat disappeared to the background, to leave my head in the end.
Mark arrived and so did Davids luggage. We are ready!! Let the adventure begin. 17 travbuddies...

At noon we got the cars and we were upgraded!!!! We got a Toyota Landcruiser instead of a Lada Niva I had booked. And that was exactly what we needed. Otherwise all our luggage would have never fit in the cars. Dave's group still got the Lada.

First of all they drove the car in the fence of the hotel, than it stalled about then times, driving on the left side instead of the right side of the road and parked the car in the middle of an intersection. We couldn't stop laughing, but were very worried too. Were they gonna crash???? Then the car wouldn't go any faster than 80km/h... But it was in 4x4 gear. Yup... Americans driving... :P
After shopping for food we finally left Reykjavik. We're on the road!! We drove to the Mount Esja where we had a short hike in the area. Time to talk, time to get to know each other. And having fun of cours!
Today was gonna be a busy day. We had to finish the Golden Circle with the Thingvellir (The tactonic plates of America and Europe separate here), Geysir (exploding every 10 minutes), and Gullfoss (the second biggest volume waterfall of Iceland).
Packing the cars

On our way we came across a herd of wild horses and Matt had some close encounters with them. They were not scared at all, they even came to check us out. Pretty amazing. Dinner at a gasstation (pizza and burgers) and ready to find the Geysir. Unfortunately it was getting dark when we arrived at the Gullfoss waterfall. We were still very excited about Geysir and this waterfall was magic too!
We couldn't stay too long and had to drive down to the area of Sellfoss for our first night of camping.

We were advised to head south of Sellfoss, in the direction of Stockseyri. We found a sandy spot next to the main road, build our tents and shelter. It was windy, but dry! After a while a police car arrived at our scene. I thought: here we go, we have to leave... They asked what we were doing and why we were not staying in a campsite or hotel in Sellfoss. I explained the situation, promised we wouldn't make a fire, play loud music, drink alcohol and leave early morning. That was a good deal to them. Later on we had some drinks and music, but we behaved really well and left the place like we found it.

Globevoyager says:
Sorry Lauro, forgot about that! lol BTW it was Matt driving...
Posted on: Oct 23, 2010
lauro says:
you left the part where you fecking drove away leaving me behind! hahahahaha
Posted on: Oct 22, 2010
ashishrb says:
Feed them to the horses or blow them into the wind? and just invite the horse's head into the car? :)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2010