Camping at higher ground, near a glacier

West Travel Blog

Waking up with this view

Another beautiful morning. It seems that the mornings have better weather than afternoons and nights. Today we have another long drive. Coming from the north, we plan to drive all the way to the west. Try to get to the Snaefellsjoküll Glacier.
Just like all the days before, the scenery changes about every 50km. It is amazing. You close your eyes, open them again and there is another stunning view. From high cliffs to green and yellow hills rolling away with small houses and red roofs. From vulcanoes to glaciers. From large lakes with colorful bushes to rocky moon landscapes. From waterfalls to black sand beaches. It is so divers, it's never boring. One minute you have rain, next second the sun appears from behind the clouds and this creates a rainbow, or even a double rainbow.

The whole arch is visible. Unfortunately we didn't find the gold at the other end... Next time hopefully! Never seen so many rainbows in my life, as in Iceland.

Today there were no real highlights on the drive. Just going from A to B, however that is never boring in Iceland. Never boring in Iceland with the great Travbuddies on this trip. With such a big group of divers people, being so close together every minute of the day it's kinda of a miracle that no one has issues with each other. Seventeen people from different cultures together and no fights! Halleluja! It was one of the things I was worried about in the beginning. It's normal that there are some issues at some point. But it didn't happen and that is very special.

We had lunch at a little village at the bottom of a fjord and had dinner at another road house.

We had to drive just a little bit further. We stopped at a small beach with rather big shells. Most of them broken, slammed down on the stones. I found a pair that was still attached and took it with me. My mom collects shells, and every country I go to I bring shells (if there are beaches of cours).
We took a little off road in the direction of the Snaefellsjoküll Glacier. The road let us higher and higher and higher. It became windier, wetter and colder. We found a plateau just below the Glacier. Only a few hills were in between. Again we set up the tents and the tarp. Every night faster, more efficient and better. Sleeping dry under the tarp is almost like sleeping in a bed in a hotel...
We climbed some of the rocky hills and had the first sunset of the week.
This campsite was on "high altitude", the highest campground of the trip. Probably around 850m altitude. It was damn cold.

For dinner, Wilmke, Erik and I had a typical Dutch winter dinner: Boerenkoolstampot met worst, translate in English to Farmers Cabbage with Mashed Potatoes and Sausage (comparable to hotdogs, but way better). RJ couldn't resist it and ate half of my plate. There was enough to share, because it was for six people, nontheless it was finished real quick. It was delicious and filling. We promised RJ to make Boerenkoolstampot met worst when he comes to the Netherlands.
After dinner Ashis, Janja, Lieke, Erik and me stayed in the Landrover and played the game two truths and one lie. You give three statements, and the other have to find the lie. Funny game. I decided to spice it up a bit, because the statement were very neat. So it was Erik turn and he had the following three statements:
I had a three some, I cheated, I had sex in a birdhouse.... Yes that was really what he said!!! We couldn't stop laughing. It hurted so much! He meant to say: sex in a tree house where you watch birds... Maybe not a funny joke now, but you had to be there. So from that moment on, Erik was the birdy killer.
Around midnight, and after laughing cramps, it was time to go to bed. Again, it was very windy and raining hard.

lauro says:
hahahahahahahahahaha i saw erik cooked the magic mushrooms in the base camp of snaefels!!!! hahahahaha i didnt knew it was magic!!!!
Posted on: Nov 16, 2010
RJ82 says:
ash pretty close to a bird house
Posted on: Oct 15, 2010
ashishrb says:
Dang.. that was supposed to look like a birdhouse.. oh well :D
Posted on: Oct 14, 2010