Beware of the Nipple Fish!!

Vieques Travel Blog

Sound dramatic? Well, there out there! For our first full day on the island, we decided to hit the beach - of course, right? As many of you may know, the beauty of Vieques is the fact that it is relatively "undiscovered" due to the 6 decades of occupation by the U.S. Navy (a whole other subject) so the east end of the island especially has some very unspoiled flawless beaches. You basically drive out a long, bumpy dirt road to a handful of beaches where you pull into a dirt parking strip and walk to the beach. There's Blue Beach, Red Beach, Silver Beach to name some of the main ones. So we get to Silver Beach, no one else around and as beautiful as you'd expect, and decide to break in our snorkeling gear. We're swimming around checking out some fish swimming below us (I'm still trying to identify the real name for the fish) that were mostly silver with dark bars on their fins when all of a sudden - wham! - one darts up and bites my left nipple!! Can you believe it?! It didn't take long for me to get out of the water and assess the situation which fortunately showed no permanent didn't even break the skin. Jim and I were laughing so hard! We immediately dubbed them the "Nipple Fish" which we ended up seeing a lot more of on subsequent trips to the beach but fortunately, there were no further assaults on my person.
sylviandavid says:
Yikes.... Wouldn't you know you picked the one beach that had a kinky fish!!!! LOL... good story! Sylvia
Posted on: Nov 16, 2009