'So you made it'

Glenorchy Travel Blog

Routeburn Track Day 1. Finished at Routeburn Falls Hut.

Yep, out of the bus load of people dropped off I was one of the last people to arrive. I was passed by quite a few people who saw me resting by the side of the path.

A 23 yr old walked out by people almost twice as old and they beat me by a couple of hours. But I did make it, and now having chocolate to celebrate.

Oh yeah, and it's also not mentioning the bloody idiots on the track (in my opinion anyway) who were *running* the *whole* track in 1 day. 33 km up steep hills and exposed sections... I do admire them though.

Anyway, beautiful scenery - enough waterfalls to please me. Also a few birds fluttering around. Weather was overcast and a little rain - but for this walk I reckon that's about perfect. I'm hoping that most rain stays away tomorrow.

It's not bad this communal kitchen - give out matches and ask others to light my burner. Oh and the toilets here do flush - better than the shelter this morning at the drop off point - drop toilet *shudder*.

Oh yeah, and the huts have no electricity - so I'm lucky that I remembered to bring my torch at the last minute (tucked away at the very bottom of my bag that almost forgot it).

Not looking forward for tomorrow morning uphill hike - but at least downhill from there back to The Divide.
photo by: kiwiasli