Mud!

Oban Travel Blog

Well does anyone know what is is about being an adult that you revert back to childhood?

Today it was raining again, but it wasn't too bad so I decided to go out walking. I was told that the track I wanted to go on would be a muddy. I thought no worries, a little mud I can handle.

I forgot about the conversation over the last couple of days, so then I started up Garden Mound & saw the situation. Ankle deep mud. At least my socks didn't get dirty - my pants did :) So I was walking up and down sliding around in mud today. Seriously good fun.

The view from the top of the hill wasn't too good - due to poor visibility through rain. Walking back my feet were fairly sore - hoping that I'll be okay on the Routeburn.

Also I reverted back to the childhood memory of splashing in puddles. I was trying to clean my boots a bit (or that's the story I'm sticking to anyway).

Tomorrow I'll try the walk I missed yesterday before my ferry to Invercargill then bus to Riverton.

As to impressions of Stewart Island, for the price I paid getting over here I don't think that it was worth the trip. The walks were okay, but all the points of the day walks seemed to disappear when I tried to get to them.

Summit of Garden Mound didn't have many views of the bays - just about 90' view. RingaRinga point - the map said get onto the beach, but there was no way to get on the beach, but many signs saying not to go to the beach. Biggest irony - Kiwi humor I suppose - was Horseshoe bay lookout. Said turn right at road and follow the Coastal Track. I turned right at the road, and followed a short road to the... Rubbish tip....

But for all of that I enjoyed Ulva Island and jumping in mud.

Oban