EuropeItalySiena

San Gimignano & Siena, 10010 steps.

Siena Travel Blog

Palazzo del Campo
Our first stop today is San Gimignano. This town is also called the Manhatten of Italy because of it's skyline of towers. Formerly the town had 70 towers but there are only 13 towers left. From the parking place till the actual town it was a lively trip upwards. (the biggest part of the group was 60+ years old so...). My physical therapist told me about a small icecream shop at the square in San Gimignano. Although it was 9.30 in the morning I had to trie an icecream and I have to admit: It was delicious. We drank a cup of coffee and looked around a little and then went back to the bus. The bus driver brought us to a place where we had a wonderfull view of San Gimignano. Then we were heading to the next stop: Siena.
Pallazo del Campo
Siena is one of the most important tourist attractions in Italy. In the middle of Siena there is the 'Piazza del Campo'. This is the city square where every year at the 2nd of July and the 16th of August horse races take place. These races are very important for the citizans, comparable to football/soccer in the Netherlands. We're having lunch in a lunchroom at the square and then we're walking around for an half hour. We visit the cathedral but only outside because there was no time to get in. That evening we arrive at our second hotel. Hotel Oxford in Fiugi. This was the worst hotel I've ever seen! Very old-fashioned, we only had a bad and not a shower. So if I wanted to wash my hair I should hold the shower in one hand and wash my hair with my other. Since I've quite long hair that's not done! So I had a shower in the room of some friends. After 5 minutes waiting for warm water I could finally take a shower! The beds were very hard and the food was disgusting. Unfortunately we had to stay here for 3 nights. The only positive thing of the hotel was the waitress, she was very funny and happy.
dennis_d says:
Jammer dat je niet langer in sienna kon blijven. Ik had je een goede tip kunnen geven.
Posted on: Oct 28, 2009