What a Trip!

Cape Tribulation Travel Blog

Our bus

The shuttle bus picks us up, there are two bus loads of us, likely about 30 people per bus.  I take a window seat and wonder how I’ll stay awake on this trip.  I need a coffee.  A German guy named Yves sits beside me.  He’s nice, we chat back and forth on the journey north.  Out driver is AMAZING!!  He talks the entire way, telling us interesting bits of information about this part of Aus, where we are going and Australian life.  Things like: Cape Tribulation has some of the oldest rainforest in the world.  Its located in the Daintree National Park in Australia.  The area meets all four of the World Heritage Site criteria and has the second most biodiverse forest (ranked second behind the Amazon).  Approximately 8600 live in Cape Tribulation but the area is bigger than Texas!  Its home to the Cassowary. The third tallest living bird in the world (behind the emu and ostrich).

Its endangered and one of the rarest animals to see in the wild.  They estimate there are only 1000 left both in the wild and captivity.  Interesting eh!

On the way to Cape Trib we stop to get a coffee at a small café.  Thank god.  I’m falling in and out of sleep on the way up.  Knocking my head on the window as it bobs up and down with sleep.  How ridiculous.

We take a walk through the rainforest.

It’s different than in Malaysia.  Everyone is commenting on how hot (its 34 degrees) and humid it is.  What are they talking about!  I’m use to 100% humidity, this is nothing!  The mangroves in the forest are beautiful.  We see a fresh Cassowary poop, gross but cool at the same time.

Ee go for a river tour on the trip, trying to spot crocodiles.  We found one, not a big one, but at least we saw something!

We reach Cape Trib’s main beach around lunch time, stopping at a restaurant to eat.  Before lunch I go for a walk to the beach with Yves and an Aussie named Dave that I met on the bus (it’s nice to see a local touring their own country).  We love the beach, it’s so white!  No one is around.  It feels remote, private, like the end of the world.  My thoughts at this moment, this is exactly why I came to Australia, I wanted to be by the ocean, be doing adventurous activities and hang out with good people.

After lunch we head to Mossman’s Gorge to take a swim in the river.  Its located about 80 km north of Cairns, its still located within the Daintree National Park.  There are no crocodiles here, thanks to the rapidly flowing water.  The bad news, I’ve forgotten by bathing suit, but I still go in up the hem of my shorts, wading in the cool water.  It’s fun to watch everyone jump in and play.  I meet two people here that are also on breaks from work, each for six months!  One from Canada, the other from the states.  Cool eh!

We stop in Port Douglas on the way home, a tiny town about 75 km north of Cairns.  It’s a quaint little place, which expensive shops along the main drag.  A lot of celebrities have homes here actually, such as Jerry Seinfeld.  We stop for ice cream, its delish, do some window shopping and head for home.

Yves, Dave and I at the bar
  On our way back our driver plays songs for the different nationalities on the bus.  He plays some terrible songs that apparently represent Canada.  I promise to send him The Hockey Song by Stompin’ Tom Connors so he can use that instead!!

Yves, Dave and I decide to meet up at the bar in Gilligans after dinner.  When I get ready I straighten my hard with my roommates straightener.  My word!  I look like myself for the first time in 6 weeks!  Ha!  Funny.  No more ponytails and curly hair.  Well at least for a night.  We had an awesome time at the bar, drinking and dancing it up, we stay until close and I cringe at the thought of having to pack and check out in the morning.

Yves, Dave and I at the bar
On boat searching for crocs!
On boat searching for crocs!
Beautiful views
Beautiful views
Trust me, it might be small and ha…
Trust me, it might be small and h…
Best road sign ever!
Mangroves
Mangroves
Cape Trib beach!
Cape Trib beach!
Warning!  Dont go in the water!
Warning! Don't go in the water!
Mossman Gorge