A Week Like No Other

Adelaide Travel Blog

McLaren Vale wine region

Our week together has been amazing!!!  I have never been this happy with someone in my entire life.  The best part is that Dave feels the same way! Ha! :)

We started out on Monday going to McLaren Vale to tour some wineries.  We went to Shingleback to have Dave's favourite grenache, and yes it was amazing!  We also went to d'Arenburg where I find a dessert wine and a sparkling red that nearly knocks me over they are so delicious.  The drive there and back is gorgeous, taking us through the Adelaide hills, showing off the dry but beautiful landscape.  The view of the vines growing green and bright along the orange red dirt is breath taking.

Dave riding the Mt. Compass cow
  Dave put a mix of songs together on his iPod from bands that will be at the Big Day Out concert we're going to on Friday so we could know them better.  I play D.J and we quiz each other on band names and songs.  Its helping me so much to learn the song names and pick bands that I like.  I know that Big Day Out will be better for me now that I know which bands I prefer.  We have dinner in Victor Harbour at a classic old hotel called The Crown.  Victor Harbour is famous for the right whales that swim offshore from June through October.  Seeing the whales is a popular tourist attraction there, as are the Fairy Penguins which we go to visit after dinner.
Crashing waves on Granite Island

The Fairy penguins are tiny blue penguins that make their home on Granite Island.  Granite Island is connected to Victor Harbour by a long jetty so that tourists can easily get out to see there.  The Fairy penguins build their burrows in the cliffs, some climbing over 40 feet up on their tiny little legs to dig their homes.  They raise their chicks here year after year, before going back to sea, swimming and feeding and resting at different locations throughout South Australia.  We learn about their life cycle, the decline of the population and the conservation efforts ongoing at the island.  We see little chicks (they are so shy!) and parents molting.

Dave and Simon host a party at their house on Tues for Australia Day!  Classic Aussie activities on this day include listening to the Top 100 play on the Triple JJJ radio station, playing beach cricket, eating shrimp and drinking a lot.

Chris in the pool on Australia day!
  We do three out of four!  Can I just say I love beach cricket!  And I'm a pretty good bowler apparently!  We had an awesome time at the beach.  The weather was amazing, bright blue sky, lots of sunshine.  The music is great too and everyone is excited about the top songs.  Dave's brother Brendan comes over (by the way, Dave is one of nine kids), and we end up going out to the Dublin with him later in the night.  I love the Dub!

On Wed, Dave and I go to an amazing Cafe that is just down the street from him, and right on the beach.  We talk a lot about work and I tell him about what I do at home at the consulting firm.  We talk about Dave's work as a pharmacist, his passion for taking care of his customers and his interest in medicine.

Tame Impala
  Dave has to work tonight, but before he goes we go on a long hike down the boardwalk along the ocean.  South Australia has done an amazing job of giving the public access to the water front.  There is a well maintained trail that runs for kilometres along the ocean in Glenelg.  You'll always see people running, cycling and hanging out on it.  The government is continuing to extend it and link it with other trails so that its citizens can enjoy an uninterrupted walk, hike, etc.  Its amazing.

Thursday is a Kerrie day.  Dave is at work so I make some important phone calls, write, run.  I think about how I love it here and don't want to leave.

BIG DAY OUT on Friday!  We go with Dave's good friends Bec and Oscar.

Bec, Oscar and Brendan
  What an amazing day!  First off this event is well run.  There are enough bathrooms, water stations, beer tents etc that you never have to line up for long.  This is surprising considering there are about 30,000 people at the event.  There are seven stages set up and a roster of bands playing continuously on each stage all day.  The acts come from everywhere but are big names right now in Aus.  We have a schedule made up of the bands we want to see.  First up is Tame Impala.  They are sensational.  Such a young band but with a mature sound.  Hints of The Doors in their music for sure.  Next we see Temper Trap.  I LOVE them.  I know a lot of their songs thanks to the mix Dave put together.
Main Stage
  We dance are brains out in the middle of the dance floor, squeezing as close as possible to the front.  The audience sings and jumps along to the songs.  Dave is so excited!  Its awesome to be with someone who enjoys music like I do and isn't afraid to dance and sing along!  We see Passon Pit, their sound is sensational and their performance was outstanding!  Then we head next into the main stage area to dance to Dizzie Rascal, Lily Allen and then off to Ladyhawke.  Everyone is having the best time!  Dave and I go to a silent disco where everyone is in a room wearing headphones and dancing to the music in their ears, while people walk by not knowing what we're all listening to.  We love it in there, dancing and singing along to the songs with all these random people.
  Too much!  The final band we see is Groove Armada!  The light show is mind blowing.  We are squished right at the front, jumping to the songs with the crowd.  AMAZING!!!  The best concert series I've ever been to.

On Saturday we head to the Barossa Valley, one of Australia's most famous wine regions.  We taste nearly everything Yalumba has before we find one we like called Running with the Bulls (named after the owners time in Spain), the grape is Tempranillo. Its a light bodied red that is great for drinking with tapas.  We love the Barossa and spend a lot of time taking photos of the area.  Dinner tonight is the Oyster Bar, where I have oysters for the first time, I loved them!  Then its into downtown Adeliade to hang out with Dave's good friend Ramiz.

Temper Trap - love this pic!
  We go to a great bar called Fumo Blu and have a great time.

On Sunday I have to leave, but not before a great day just chilling out with Dave.  We hate that I have to go.  We talked about it a lot on Saturday.  I told Dave that I wanted to stay, and that while I like my life in Broadbeach there is no reason for me to stay there.  I can easily work and live in Adeliade, and I would really like to be here to give us more time together to see where things could go.  Dave is thrilled!  Says its everything he could want.  So we've made plans.  I will go back to Broadbeach, work for a couple more weeks giving proper notice at work, Dave will come to Broadbeach over Valentine's weekend and then we'll fly home to Adeliade together!!  I will come live here with him in Adelaide, find work and we'll see what happens!  How exciting eh! Our week together really was perfect.

We are both extremely happy, happier than we've ever been.  We talk easily with each other about what is happening, how we feel about each other, the things we want, etc.  We fit together so well, its seemless.  I feel secure in what we're doing and our future and I can't wait to move here!

Big Day Out - Tame Impala