This place is just right...

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Seoung Hee and Sadie!

Today was the best day!!  Hung out with Seoung Hee and Sadie in the morning had an amazing breakfast and coffee, again!  My word I love the coffee here.  Then I left and found my was to the bus station downtown on Hong Kong Island and took the long (not express) bus to a placed called Stanley.  Stanley is on the southeastern part of Hong Kong Island.  Stanley is known for its open air market, restaurants, tehe Murray House and waterfront.

The bus ride was excellent.  I sat at the very front on the upper deck.  Checked out the gorgeous view of Hong Kong as the bus climbed the hills overlooking the city.  You could see the race track, beautiful skyline and buildings, and the most interesting grave yards.

What a grave yard!
  They were beautiful, organized, crypts in rows on terraces all facing the same direction.  Haunting and beautiful.  The bus ride to Stanely took me over the top of Hong Kong Island and back down the other side.  I saw stunning views of the ocean and sea side communities.

I loved Stanley as soon as I arrived.  The bus dropped me off near the central market and off I went into its maze of shops to explore the wares being offered.  Stanley was just what I needed.  A small simple place with “just enough” of the right things.  The market was the right size, not too big to overwhelm you, not so small to be boring.  The town had a generous mix of tourist buzz, yet I found a lovely diner in the middle of it all to have a real Chinese meal with the locals.

Stanley Market
  There is no English on the walls and everyone in there is Chinese including the patrons.  My meal was delish!

Stanely has a beautiful maritime museum located in the Murray House.  Oh I should mention, the Murray House is a former British army barrack that use to be located in modern day Central Hong Kong.  The building was moved to Stanley in 2002 to preserve it and provide a tourist attraction to the area.  It is said the building is haunted - likely by the ghosts of the Chinese who were executed there during the Japanese occupation.  Oddly, the museum, just like Stanley was the right fit.  I was beginning to feel like Goldilocks "this bed is to too big, this one is too small, but this bed is just right".  The museum fed my love for history and culture.  I learned all about the history of the shipping industry and exploration of the world from Hong Kong’s harbours.

Murray House
  I learned about the amazing ship building techniques used by the Chinese, their methods for following the stars, the eventual decline of the Chinese control of their local waters, and the world’s lack of interest in Chinese commodities.  Oh how times have changed!  While China lost its strong hold on the seas, the world’s interest in China grew again and today China is an economic powerhouse sending its goods everywhere!

Stanley has a beautiful pier called Blake Pier.  It was once located in Central Hong Kong and used as one of the main piers for a ferry terminal.  Numerous figureheads have walked the pier taking their first steps on Hong Kong soil.  Here I was walking on the same place.

I left Stanley in the afternoon taking the long bus back to downtown Hong Kong.

Blake Pier
  We took a new route home, driving by the sea side towns of Aberdeen (where Ian and Seonghee got married).  There is a building there built with a hole in the middle to provide the spirits of the hills a way to travel to the sea.  What a beautiful idea both in design and emotion.

Upon arrival in Hong Kong I took myself to Lan Kwai Fong.  I mean, when in Rome…  I sat myself at a bar on a main corner and watched the world go by.  Tall cold Carlsberg’s in hand.  Halloween is tomorrow but the costumes were already out in full force!  Some of the makeup was so real it was terrifying!

The bar tender is flirting with me!  He’s sending me little notes as I sit by the huge open window overlooking the streets.

Beautiful Stanley
O.k. I’ll admit he’s definitely good looking, but I know bar tenders, I’m sure this isn’t the first note he’s given a girl. I write back anyway. :’)

I met a great guy named Serkan from Turkey.  We have miles of thinks to talk about and slide easily into a thousand conversations.  We share life stories, music, history, discuss places we’ve visited and those we long to see.  I love travelers, I know, I’ve mentioned this before.  They’re so open, direct and candid.  Serkan says to me at one point “I think this is fate.  We are the same.”  We party all night hoping to different bars, meeting people, dancing.  I love Hong Kong!

I catch the ferry to Lantau Island, what a great ride home, Hong Kong’s waters are always buzzing.

Partying in the streets of LKF
  Tomorrow I will leave for Malaysia.  I have mixed emotions.  I’m ready to move forward, leave Hong Kong, and try something new.  I will miss Ian, Seoung Hee and Sadie, the home they’ve given me and the vibrancy of this city.  I’m also slightly freaked out.  While I have lots of time ahead of me, I’m aware of how quickly this week has gone. If I leave this place it means time is slipping.  I want to hang on to my moments and in a way I want to cling to Hong Kong asking it to hold onto my trip, my time.  But that’s not how life works.  Time will always move.  Things will always change.  The question is do you want to wait for everything else to move while you mourn the past, and then play catch up or would you rather be at the start of that change, forging ahead.
And more partying
  I know I’m moving in the right direction.  I am the leader of this journey.  As captain of my life, I declare its time to go, let fear never guide my behavior.  I’m ready.  Here I come Malaysia.

travelman727 says: