Surfing!!!

Kuta Travel Blog

Surf school - day one!

Surf lessons day one!!  I LOVE SURFING!!!  I spent the day learning how to surf today!  After some excellent instruction at the surf school headquarters our small team of people took to the water and attempted to surf! Ha!  What a sight!  My instructor was amazing and with a few tries I was up!  What a trip!  I road a wave, come on that is awesome!  It is tough to surf!  I have new found respect for those that can really ride.  It’s tough enough to actually get out to the waves with all the water crashing into you, trying its best to knock you over and get you out of its way, never mind timing everything perfectly to get on top of the wave AND somehow stand and control this giant piece of fiberglass under you.  Crazy.  Everyone in our group stood up today, my instructor was thrilled!  I absolutely in love and can’t wait to come back tomorrow.

That is a long board!

I run into Laurent at a local café while walking home.  We chat for a bit, make plans to meet for dinner and then I go back to the hotel to move rooms, only my new place isn’t ready yet.  So I go to the pool and sleep on a lounger under the sun.  Sigh.  I swim for a while too.  The pool is painted a deep royal blue.  When I swim under water it reminds me of diving in Malaysia, all of the amazing life I saw in the ocean and the people I met there.  I dive under over and over, flooded with the memories of my amazing time there!

I meet a fantastic group of Aussie’s at the pool.  We talk about family, travel, politics, and feminism.  I asked the world to send me a girl to talk to.  Man I miss talking to girls.  And low and behold I meet the young mother of the family at the pool.

Out for dinner with Laurent
  She is a joy to talk to and I love hearing her story and ideas about Australia, marriage and life.

I talk to Erin!  I’ve missed her so much!  Everything we discuss reminds me of home and how far away I am.  I wish I could bring all of my friends and family here, and have them enjoy this awesome experience with me.

Dinner with Laurent is amazing.  We are in the heart of Kuta, at a great Italian restaurant.  The food is awesome as is the setting.  We go for a great ride after dinner finding our way to a pub, where we drink and talk the night away.  I think we get home at 2am.  This is not helping me get up for my early surf lessons!
Out for dinner with Laurent
My view - love this hotel.
My view - love this hotel.
My room