New Job and New Place to Live!

Brisbane Travel Blog

Broadbeach

On Tues I go early to Broadbeach and wonder around a bit before my interview.  I get down their easily and Broadbeach seems nice enough.  The interview goes really well and I’m set for a two hour trail on Thursday.  Yow!  This is good news!

I love the ride to and from Brizzy, I rock driving on the left hand side of the road!!  Oh man I miss driving.  Its awesome to have a radio and catch up on new songs.   I go shopping Tues afternoon and easily get the things I need.  Wed I take the car back, visit Floss at her Café in the city, get an amazing cafe mocha, treat and free smoothie.  Floss is awesome!  I finish the final Twlight book.

What a great series, despite its drama!  They ended the book well.  I also apply for a Tax File Number and get a bank account (AMAZING! I have an Aussie Bank Account!).

On Thursday I head back to Broadbeach for my trial.  Its from 4:30 to 6:30pm.  I take the train this time.  My trial turns into a full shift!  Holy fack its busy at that cafe!  Good thing I know what I’m doing!  35 guests at once, and constantly rotating them, what a facking nightmare.  It was ridiculous.  Service is so different here, rushed, hurried.  I'm use to romancing a table, spending time with my guests, really taking care of them.  Its burn and turn at this place, with little training and instruction.

Sage
  I finished at 10:30.  I had spoken to my manager only a handful of times throughout the night.  At the end of the madness he says to me, you have the job.  Well I'd say!  I've been asked to come back on Saturday night, then I'll start full time on Tues.  Saweet.  Now its time to get a place to live.

By the way, the cafe I'm working at is called Sage.  Its an open air restaurant cafe that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.  They have amazing food and great chefs.  I take food home with me after work, my word they make great calamari!

The train takes a hour to get to Brisbane, and then when I arrive the buses have stopped running.

My new home
  So I have to walk 30 mins from the Valley back to Ang's house.  Dave talks with me the entire way from Broadbeach.  What a sweetie!!

On Monday I go back to Broadbeach to see some places to live.  Its not ideal, the one place that works for me feels too far from the coast (a 15 min walk).  I take it anyway, confirming at 10pm Monday night.  I move in on Tuesday, working that night at 5pm.  That is quick! I pack my things I don’t even get a chance to say goodbye to Ang before moving.  I only take ¾ of my stuff, thinking I’ll come back to Brizzy soon and get the rest.  My room feels good, and the house is actually pretty awesome and I’m glad I chose it.  I sleep well here.

My room
  Its very comfortable, even if it is really hot in here!  My room is a consistant 30 humid degrees.  My roomates are three New Zealanders. Two brothers (Ryan and Stefan) and a girl Jess who has yet to move in.  They listen to awesome music, love to socialize and are really friendly.  I go to the beach every night after work.  It is my peaceful and happy place after the madness of the cafe.  The view of the waves crashing alwasy puts things into perspective.  Its so beautiful here.  Can you believe I live here!  Yow!  I meditate and focus my attention on my breathe.  I'm transported to Bali and my teachings there.  I’m immediately at peace.

I work Tues through Sunday.  Nights only.  Not ideal but I’ll take it.  It allows me to get things settled during the day and then make money at night.

Fri night I take the train back to Brizzy, spend Sat at the market with Ang (hammuli wrap, hello!) grab the rest of my stuff and go back for work.  Sat night I went out with my roommates in Surfers.  We had an awesome night at the bars!  Surfers is full on and I like it!  Everyone is so hammered when I finally arrive!  We start at Waxy’s pub, I meet Stefan’s mates, they are all nice.  Jess, our new roommate is there, she’s fun!  What a sweet house we have!  We go to a club, play pool, Leon (Stefan's friend) and I loose, argh!  But is was a good fight!  Stefan, Ryan and their friends party ALL night, literally they stay up until the morning and then keep going.  I am astounded.  I don’t join in the Sunday boozing, I need to work that night.

Mon and Tues are my days off.

I am so happy to not be at work.  I really don't like my job.  Its too manic for me.  However, I need the money and its great to be working, so I'm not going to complain.  On my days off I head to Surfers Paradise and get to an internet café, I blog finally (man that feels good), lay on the beach and get sand blasted by the wind (and I love it).  What an awesome day.  I like Surfers!  Its fun, outgoing, youthful, has businesses that are busy and lots of activity.  Yah its like Miami or Vegas at night but its still great.  I apply for new jobs every day because I know I need more hours to keep me busy and happy.  Right now I'm looking at day jobs, admin type stuff.  I hope I find something soon.

Wed, Thurs and Fri night I work at Sage.

Then Friday night I head back to Brizzy for the night.  On Saturday night Ang is hosting a going away party for Ali who is leaving Aus and going to South East Asia.  She's not sure when she's returning.  She's planning on working at an orphanage in Cambodia for at least 9 months!  The party is HUGE!  The entire house is involved in setting up and planning it.  There is a party set up in the back yard complete with chairs, tables, and a bed, yes a bed!  Nuts.  The garage is set up with the decks for the D.Js.  There are so many great D.Js here that there is a schedule for when each of them are on.  So cool!  Everyone has an awesome time.  I head to bed at 5am in an effort to get some sleep.  Everyone else parties all night.  The music is still going at 1pm the next afternoon.  I can't believe it!  I barely slept as my room is directly above the garage.  I need to get organized though to catch my flight to Adelaide!  I can't wait to see Dave!!!

My room
Playing a Tasmanian Devil (me) and…
Playing a Tasmanian Devil (me) an…
The D.J List note people are on sc…
The D.J List note people are on s…
The decks