Live Aboard Day!

Cairns Travel Blog

Its live aboard day!  This afternoon I will depart for my Great Barrier Reef adventure!  But first it’s checking out.  As I start to wake up before my alarm I notice my roommate has a visitor.  Gah how awkward is it to have your roommate having sex with someone beside you in a hostel.  Gah, anyone who has slept in a dorm room knows what I’m talking about.  It’s not the worst, I was half asleep anyway and just let myself go to a better place till I absolutely have to get up.  The guy was gone by then, and I pack as quickly as possible.

I need to do some shopping today for a voltage convertor so I can use my Canadian appliances (i.e. my hair straightener) here in Aus.  I couldn’t find one in South East Asia and I definitely want to use my straightener here, otherwise its nasty hair for 4 more months.  No thanks.  I plan on meeting Dave at one before we both have to leave Cairns (me to my live aboard, and he to the airport to take him home to Adelaide).  Then in the lobby of the hostel I run into Dave!  What a nice surprise.  We decide to go to breakfast and spend the day together.  Back to the famous pie shop!  Then we head to the mall where I don’t find what I need.  Argh.

We head to the lagoon and spend the afternoon there chilling out.  Then it’s back to Gilligans to pick up our stored luggage, then I’m off to the live aboard company and Dave’s heading to the airport.  We catch the same taxi, as our schedules fall in line together.  I’m going to miss Dave.  We have a lot in common, a ton of things to say to each other, and above all a connection that can’t be beat.  Its an intangible thing that I can’t seem to describe.  I’m not one to talk about guys on this blog but I have to say if I had my way we’d have more time together.  I wish I didn’t have to see him go.   We’ve said we’ll stay in touch, that I’ll contact him when I come through South Australia and that we’ll meet up again likely in the spring.  We'll see what happens!  In the meantime, it’s on to the live aboard!  A dream come true!  I’m going to live on a boat for 5 days in the middle of the ocean.  Yow!

photo by: Katie_Kate