Departure

Toronto Travel Blog

Erin and I at the airport!

I'm at the airport.  Holy crap!!  Erin dropped me off - remember she's my co-house owner.  My friend Katie even came by to see me off!  What an unbelievable experience this is.  How on earth did I get here!  The house is still full of boxes.  Erin is amazing and is going to take care of it all while I'm gone.  I feel extremely guilty for leaving her behind with so much to do.  She's telling me its fine.  What I know is that she's an amazing friend.

So here's the plan, fly to JFK with American Airlines, then off to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific.  I’m flying this way for two reasons 1) so I can fly with Cathay Pacific, I fly good airlines if I fly to asia and 2) price.  Flying to JKF and then onward to Hong Kong was hundreds of dollars cheaper than other options.  I’ve got 6 months of spending ahead and a mortgage at home, I’ll take any savings I can get!!

I'm just waiting for my flight to JFK.

Ready to go!
  So far so good!  Man I love travelling.  I love the airports, and watching the funny things people do and bring with them.  I wonder where everyone is going and enjoy sneaking a peak at their luggage tags wondering what they’ll be doing in Orlando, Miami, et.  I wonder why people pick funny luggage tags or put fuzzy yarn balls or Christmas bows to i.d they’re stuff from someone else’s.  They’re certainly noticeable!   I’m going through security and a couple has brought their dog with them.  Its in one of those little wheelie bags with its white fluffy little neck sticking out.  As they’re wheeling it around I wonder what the dog is thinking ��" like what one earth am I doing in this bag.  They stop to have their boarding pass checked and the dog busts out of its bag and jumps out ready to run through the airport.  The owner luckily grabs it before it gets too far.  Everyone’s chuckling ��" except for security of course!  That poor dog!

It was very difficult to leave everything, everyone.  It always is of course.  Everyone you care about will be living on at home, going through the ups and downs of life while you’re off seeing new things and wishing they were there with you.  The catch is, they can’t come.  I’d love it if they could all make it, but time, money, and life get in the way.  So I’m on my own for this one.  I can handle it - I once lived in China for 3 months by myself - that was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.  After that nothing scares me!

Toronto