Bringing back memories and starting new ones

Byron Bay Travel Blog

Leaving for Byron!

Off to Byron Bay!!!  Yahoo!!!  We pull ourselves together late in the morning, pack the Kernel and drive down to Byron.  I can’t wait to go!  Ang, Katie and I went to Byron on my last visit to Aus.  While we were there we met and partied with a bunch of great people.  The beach scene, ocean, bars and food are burned into my bank of happiest memories.

We’re staying at a camp ground just outside of downtown.  We park Kernel and walk into town.  We’re going to a gig at the Art House, a band that Ang likes is planning.  After the gig is over a couple of her friends are going to D.J. for a few hours.  Memories flood my mind as I walk into town.  I’m reminded of the last time I was here.  The gig is good.

Za Gig!
  We dance and drink, then listen to the guys D.J.  After its all done Diesel, Ang, Ali and I head to the beach to enjoy the crashing waves and the party scene.  MY GOD I LOVE IT HERE!!!

The next three days are amazing, although it does rain quite a bit!  During the rain we head to the movies, we see Avatar.  What a fantastic film!  Ang teaches me how to play backgammon.  She wins nearly every time.  Argh!  We drink lots of wine, eat, go to the beach when the rain stops, visit Cape Byron, meet great people.  I love drinking beers at the Beach Hotel bar.  It IS Byron.  Sunkissed people flock there all day and night to met, drink, pick up, dance, socialize.  There is always plenty to see and do at that bar.

I should mention that we changed camp sites the twice.

Byron!
  The first time it was because our spot got taken by another vehicle and the second so we could stay clear of a big group of dudes playing cricket near Kernel.  Our decision to move was awesome.  We parked near the river wondering why no one did that, well it turns out its likely because the water dragons like to come up and seek shade under your car in the day time.  Yikes!  A huge water dragon was under the Kernel while Ang and I were hanging out one afternoon.  FACK he freaked us out!  Kept running around under the vehicle.  We decided to call him Lenny.  Lenny took a liking to us.  When we left he ran after the Kernel.  Too cute!!

We decide to drive through Coolangatta on the way home so I can investigate job opportunities and the overall sense of community.

We are so close
  I realize when we get there that I’ve been here before.  Katie and I came here on our last trip with two Aussie friends of ours.  We had a great tour then as Ang and I did this time.  Ang and I went down to the beach.  It was heaven!  Surfers, beach babes, sigh.  We spend the say swimming and napping.  I think how excited I am to be here and ready to start a life living in this country.  I’m ready to get a job and make some money.  Stop moving for a while.  Surf!  Enjoy the beach!

Coolangatta seems far from Ang though.  The drive seems too far back to Brisbane.  Once we’re back I still look into jobs though and contact a restaurant there, but I don’t go to see them.  I don’t want to live there.  I decide to look into work in Broadbeach.  It’s a small town just south of Surfer’s Paradise and near the train line which I can easily catch to and from Brisbane.  I’m going to look for work there, but first things first, time for New Year’s!

Beers for the road
At the beach in Coolangatta
At the beach in Coolangatta
Coolie!
Coolie!
Boundry between the State of Queen…
Boundry between the State of Quee…
Byron Bay