Yesterday we were in Varanasi.....

Khajuraho Travel Blog

How do we describe Varanasi.  I have asked Ann to help me with this as it was a very interesting 2 dayshave

Varanasi is the oldest habitated city in India and perhaps the world  (so says our guide). It is the most spiritual city in India

Although some of the things that we saw should have shocked  us - everything that we saw was in the ebb and flow of that city.

If we were measuring it against our standards,  we would think the people should have been under duress or unhappy - but they were not.

We went out on a boat on the Ganges at 6am for sunrise.  There we saw people bathing and worshiping along the river ghats.

We felt priviliged to be able to observe them and almost felt we were intruding on their privacy.

The city is dusty with ashes from continuous funeral pires as it is the place where every Indian Hindu wishes they could come to die.

They have mini hospices near the ghats.

The traffic is the worst that I have ever seen in all my travels.......but that didn't stop us from going on a rickshaw!

We covered our head and face with scarves (Ann with her saftey goggles) - to protect us from the dust and ashes.  At all angles we were bombarded with traffic......mostly motor bikes, regular bikes , other rickshaws and some cars.  At one point we were almost T-boned by a casket being taken down to the Ganges.

There are 4.5 million peopel in this small city area.  It is very hard to decribe what it was like.

We were kept awake last night by a wedding procession and party that ended up at our hotel.

This is a city that never sleeps.

photo by: Marusya