Wednesday November 18th

Varanasi Travel Blog

Yesterday we had a very busy day again in Delhi.

We hired the same driver for the day and checked off a few more things on our list of things that we wanted to do and see in Delhi - what a way to go = we felt like a couple of real Memsahib's traveling around with a driver and doing our touring and shopping.

He was a very good driver too. The traffic is a little crazy in Delhi.

Today we flew to Varanasi - the most holiest city in India.  As our plane was delayed - we arrived in the utmost height of traffic and were not able to exit the hotel in a rickshaw (literally) as the traffic was not moving and we could not have gotten to where we had wanted to go in time.

Varanasi is wild - - so many people, animals, you name it lining the side of the road - it is a constant stream of humanity.

The infrastructure is very basic and it reminds me of being in Vietnam more than anything (funny - that is what one of the other people on the tour said to me also).

There are only 4 of us on this tour = plus a guide.  It should be very good as we will be able to pick his brain a lot for information.

It has been a long day today = tomorrow we leave the hotel at 6am to see the sunrise on the Ganges.

We are here for two days.  Tomorrow is going to be a very long day with what we missed today crammed into it.

There is only one internet at this hotel  so I don't know when I will be able to write again. (I already have a French woman breathing down my neck anxious to use this computer).

Will write again when I am able to.

photo by: rotorhead85