AsiaIndiaMumbai

Second day in Mumbai

Mumbai Travel Blog

We were up bright and early (after a good nights sleep) to go to the Laughter Yoga session at 7am this morning.  It took place at the Gateway to India monument.  There were about 20 people who attended and it was a lot of fun.  Similar to what the Laughter Yoga I do in Vancouver - but more subdued.  Ann took a lot of photos of us doing it so I will be able to show my laughter friends at home. There was even a couple from Sweden who attended because they had heard about the leader on a brochure they had seen in their country.

We did a big "repack" of our luggage after breakfast this morning.

In th afternoon we went on a "Mumbai Local" tour.  It was great.  We really got to see how the Mumbai people live.

We took a local bus and from it we could see Chowpatty beach which was beautiful.  We then went and saw the house that Gandi stayed in when he was in Mumbai.  It is a museum and is full of very heartwarming history. We then got on a local train which snapped us back into big city mode.  We got on in the "ladies only" car (there were 3 cars), which was shoulder to shoulder with many women in saris. They were surprised to see us on the train. We had 15 seconds to embark and disembark which made for a little tension as it was very crowded.  A great experience.  We then hopped a cab to the "dhobi's" which is where the laundry for most of the city is done. It bordered on a slum and because there is no river in the city - they have basically created a man made waterway.  The clean laundry is then carried in bundles on carts hauled on the backs of men.  (wish I could stick a photo in here but I have not found a computer that had a card reader yet). We walked through a local market which was cleaner and neater than the wholesale markets we saw on the tour yesterday.  From there we hopped in another cab and went to Victoria station a huge train station which was featured in the movie "Slumdog Millionaire."

We ended the day at our favourite place above the hotel next door that has an out door terrace.

Tomorrow night at 11:30pm we have to head to the airport for our flights home via Hong Kong.

Words can't describe the wonderful trip we have had.  When they say "Incredible India" we know what they mean now.

Mumbai