Ooty to Munnar

Munnar Travel Blog

Sajeev our new driver met us last evening and we agreed to meet him in the hotel lobby today at 9am.  What a sweet man he is. Such a lovely big smile.  So kind and polite - and he is an excellent driver we are to see in the coming days.

The drive from Ooty to Munnar is to say the least 3 times worse than what I described to you about the drive to Ooty.  It started out find - through pastoral flat land - and then in the distance I could see these huge mountains.  They were beautiful to look at but I was afraid tha we would have to go over them - my worst fears being confirmed when I asked Sajeev if we had to cross them.  He said yes.  The roads were in worse condition than the ones we had seen before and the switchback turns were continuous.  We drove for for hours like this.  Twice though we went through protected animal game reserves - we saw Elephants in the wild  - (that was on the trip to Ooty I am remembering now)....but we also went though a couple other game reserves on the road to Munnar - but we did not see anything other than tree branches moving and people saying that they had spotted Elephants moments before).

Anyway this road to Munnar was something else  - we drove for about 9 hours in total -  and then to top it off we ran into a patch of thick fog and the car was enveloped in it.  The driver had to put on the windsheild wipers as it was very damp outside.  At one point Ann and I were so "freaked" to use a better word - the driver said to us "Mam - the good thing is that the car driving on the mountain side of the road" (as compared to if we would have been going in the other direction and were on the cliff side).  The driver did not have a problem seeing (I think that our tinted windows in the back may have added to our anxiety) The fog patch slowly lifted and we found ourselves in "Tea Plantation Heaven"  I have never seen so many tea plantations in my life.  Every single square foot of land in the area that they could plant was with bushes.  The tea plants grow in altitudes up to over 7 thousand feet.  One bush can produce for about 100 years we were told.

In Munnar we arrived at about 6:30 pm to a lovely "hotel" that consisted of 5 rooms.  It was perched on top of a hill and had this most spectacular view.  The room was very basic (which was fine) - the only problem was that there was not enough light in it and the little light that there was kept fading in and out a per the draw on the electical current.    Hence my inabilty to post in the blog last night.

That evening we had a spectacular dinner.  The dinner was included this night and the next. They both were particularly good as it seems that the chefs in the region compete as to who is the best.  The first day our "neighbours" were a German couple - who did not speak to us not even to say hello after we greeted them.  The other two rooms were filled by 4 German priests who were in India overseeing some charities that they were representing.    After a good sleep we were set for the next day of sight seeing around Munnar

photo by: Stevie_Wes