Madurai Travel Blog

Hi everyone.....if you are reading along - I am actually writing this note on December 14th but have some catching up to do with my blog as we have not had any internet access for the last few days.

I last wrote about the spectacular tea plantations in Munnar......from there we wound our way down (on a very nice paved road) to the plateau where we drove for a few hours before we came to Madurai

Madurai is famous for it Meenakshi Temple.  It is the third largest Hindu temple in the world after Angor Wat and another temple which was about 150 Kilometers away from this one.  It was huge.  It had about 10 or 11 towers. There were many pilgrims there from all over India - but mainly from the south.  That night we stayed in a really swank hotel and had a good dinner and rest.  (Not that we haven't been eating well - it seems that the food is getting better and better as we travel south.  We find it a bit more spicey which we both like.

The local guide that we had for the temple was a bit of a pain.  We felt that he thought himself to be well above us - two women travelling alone.  His English was not all that good and some words he miss pronouned so badley that when we questioned him he got a bit angry.  We were a bit "templed out" by that time also so were glad to get on to our next destination the next morning.

photo by: Stevie_Wes