Spiritual Retreat

Lake Atitlan Travel Blog

The news here is that after two weeks I got tired of Spanish in Antigua. I was working too hard and burned myself out a bit. Thus, I've come to San Marcos on the bank of Lago Atitlan to a "spiritual retreat" for a day and a half. There's a self-styled female guru, whom I haven't met and who teaches a kind of voidism achievable via meditation and via the knowledge that her process is the integration of many popular metaphysical systems like those in the kabala, numerology, etc. It's interesting that after a one hour class I pretty much have it pegged, but a question and answer session revealed that a number of students who've been here a week were generally in the fog. Still, it's a well organized, nice place and everything is a pyramid. The pyramid temple is nice and the meditation and hatha yoga were pretty good and relaxing, but I'm ready to move along tomorrow.

Aside from the retreat here in this hippie/indigenous/young people village of San Marcos, Lago Atitlan is pretty much a paradise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lago_Atitlan If you look at this link, last night I saw something very close to what is in the picture at the bottom of the page. Tomorrow I'm making the long trek by shuttle-bus-camioneta, etc. via Guatemala City to Flores (in the Northeast), then to San Marcos (pop 3000, mostly indigenous), which is a short distance from Flores and to Lake Peten to the forest reserve of Peten-itza where I'll probably take a week of Spanish and stay in a cabana by the side of the lake there.
Lake Atitlan